02 yz426f flywheel weight - home made

Hi guys,

Just saw this weight for 02 yz426 f ( http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/weightsdet.php?s_partnum=828_ ) and since we own a machine shop equipped also with CNC machines, I thought that I will make my own weight. I saw that the 9oz is a popular choice and decided to go for that.

Question : Is this kit so simple? A steel disc with a weight of 9oz and just bolted to the original flywheel? If true, then my only concern remains the clearance issues. I believe the blue thing in the picture is actually a spacer made from alloy. Is this really necessary? How much space is there currently between the stator cover and flywheel?

It doesn't look like thats the right weight for a 426, but if they sell the right weight, with a spacer for under $100, I'd go that route for sure. The clearance is very tight, just take a bit of clay and put it on the flywheel, put the cover on, then take it back off and you can measure the clearance. There are three kinds I know of, welded-on like the GYTR 450 weights, bolt on (like this one) and ones that use the flywheel puller threads to bolt on, then typically use a few small set screws on the outside to secure (like most of the ones Steahly sells). I've heard of issues with the drill/tap method, but if you own a machine shop, hopefully you know the correct technique to use a tap. I've installed this type, and the metal is fairly soft and thinner than you would expect. I used plenty of red loctite just in case. I just made my own weld-on weight and spacer for a 82 CR480R. (I had a spare flywheel and took lots of heat precautions when welding). I have a small Smithy lathe/mill, and it took me all day. Your machine skills and equipment are probably much better than mine, but I'd still be willing to bet your time is more valuable than trying to make your own when there are plenty out there that can be bought cheap. I also just turned down an old spare plastic cover to make my 10mm spacer. I wouldn't have the skill or time to make a spacer out of billet. As a matter of fact, if they are selling those weights/spacer kits that cheap, they are probably losing money.

It doesn't look like thats the right weight for a 426, but if they sell the right weight, with a spacer for under $100, I'd go that route for sure.

Yep, you're right, that's not the right one. And I see that they don't sell bolt ones for the 426. Why????

Will the one for a 400YZ 98-99 fit ( http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/weightsdet.php?s_partnum=820_ ) ?

You're right that it's not much for $100, but I have to pay much more shipping cost and duty taxes also, and probably if I would live in the states I wouldn't bother, but given my situation...

Yep, you're right, that's not the right one. And I see that they don't sell bolt ones for the 426. Why????

Will the one for a 400YZ 98-99 fit ( http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/weightsdet.php?s_partnum=820_ ) ?

You're right that it's not much for $100, but I have to pay much more shipping cost and duty taxes also, and probably if I would live in the states I wouldn't bother, but given my situation...

Wow, just saw your in Romania. I looked up the parts and see that the gasket is the same for the YZ 400 and 426, so the spacer should be the same (by far the hardest part to make). The flywheels have different part numbers but look very similiar. If you can order it for about $100, I'd do it. Since it's a bolt on (where you have to tap/thread) I can't see how it could be that different. Since you havee access to machine work, you ought to be able to make any small adjustments that might be needed to get a good fit. I'd get the heavy one.

Did anyone have any luck with this? I can't seem to find a weight kit available for the 426. I am considering making my own. I read that the wr426 flywheel will work as well. Has anyone tried it? Would you have to change the stator as well if going this route? Thanks guys.