I've got a little problem

SO.. A 'friend' of mine came up to ride trails several years ago and left his sweet CR250 at my place. He lives in So Cal and I am at the top end of the state. The plane being I could store his bike and then, the next year, he could just drive up or fly up and ride trails the following summer(2008). That summer went by, along with this summer. For almost three years I have had his bike in my garage. We spoke several times during this time period trying to make plans on getting together to ride, nothing ever came together. Now his phones are disconnected and I am getting emails returned and non-deliverable. I have no way of getting in touch with him as the last time I spoke with him he said he was moving in with his girlfriend whom I have never met and don't even remember her name.

What are my "legal" rights here? I know he loves this bike but I am getting tired of it taking up space. Does anyone know what my rights are here?

Not sure what I want to do I just want to be sure if something comes up I have a leg to stand on. Is there a time period for things like this? Not having a pink slip I can't even ride it as it has no stickers. Don't want to get stopped by the guys in the green trucks for riding without a green or red sticker.

Thanks for ANY input.

SO.. A 'friend' of mine came up to ride trails several years ago and left his sweet CR250 at my place. He lives in So Cal and I am at the top end of the state. The plane being I could store his bike and then, the next year, he could just drive up or fly up and ride trails the following summer(2008). That summer went by, along with this summer. For almost three years I have had his bike in my garage. We spoke several times during this time period trying to make plans on getting together to ride, nothing ever came together. Now his phones are disconnected and I am getting emails returned and non-deliverable. I have no way of getting in touch with him as the last time I spoke with him he said he was moving in with his girlfriend whom I have never met and don't even remember her name.

What are my "legal" rights here? I know he loves this bike but I am getting tired of it taking up space. Does anyone know what my rights are here?

Not sure what I want to do I just want to be sure if something comes up I have a leg to stand on. Is there a time period for things like this? Not having a pink slip I can't even ride it as it has no stickers. Don't want to get stopped by the guys in the green trucks for riding without a green or red sticker.

Thanks for ANY input.

I would try tracking him down somehow. Maybe on the internet or if you had a street address I would try mailing him a letter. If he setup a forwarding address he will get it. I wouldn't do anything with his bike. You don't have a title or pink slip so it's not yours. Unless your house gets broken in to and they only steal his bike you will be held liable. (and that will look awful suspicious if it happens.) Good luck with it. Let us know what happens.:ride:

i say your nice enough for keeping it as long as you did...

my first bike was an rm80, i left at my grandparents house for a while because we were moving and we were trying to get my uncle to fix it...well it was there for all of a month or two and he hauled it off to the dump :ride:

it was given to me for free, and other then it not running it was in good condition, it still makes me mad thinking about that...

Your post almost leads one to beleive it was abandoned for 3 years but after reading it closer I noticed you said "We spoke several times during this time period trying to make plans on getting together to ride, nothing ever came together'

So it sounds like for almost three years you and he were both ok with it sitting in your garage taking up space and you were cool with it because you talked with him during this time and didnt put any restrictions on all this. My guess is he thinks you are still totally cool with just leaving it there for a while longer.

There are a couple of questions that need to be answered, first how long has it been since you last talked with him? If it has been over a year or two then perhaps I would start to think about getting rid of the bike. Next question, how good of a "freind" is he? When he does come back for the bike, you know he is going to be PISSED OFF when you tell him you sold it so you have to take that into consideration as well.

If it were me I would hang on to it for at least a year or two after last talking with him. He will probably be back at some point and want his bike and you will probably not want the ordeal of explaining to him why you got rid of it. After a year or two I would chat with a lawyer to see what my rights are before doing anything with it.

The way I see it if I had my bike at a friends house but suddenly (hypothetically) lost my job and circumstances forced me to live with my gf and lose all my contact info, eventually if I got back on my feet and had the oppurtunity to come get it I would hope my "friend" would have kept it for me. Im just saying friends should help out other friends.

Yeah, I'll tell you, I'd have a hard time not being real ****ing pissed if I showed up to pickup the bike I thought you were holding onto for me and it was a goner. Especially if we hadn't previously discussed the impact on you and how its taking up space was pissing you off.

If you've had that discussion and he hasn't done shit.....well, different story entirely.

The way I see it if I had my bike at a friends house but suddenly (hypothetically) lost my job and circumstances forced me to live with my gf and lose all my contact info, eventually if I got back on my feet and had the oppurtunity to come get it I would hope my "friend" would have kept it for me. Im just saying friends should help out other friends.

Hey, he might be doing 5-10 and when he finally gets out and wants his bike back.... well, even more reason not to upset him :ride:

I would keep the bike. Your his buddy and after she screws him over, that bike and you will be all he has. If you don't want to store it then I will, but don't get rid of it without finding him first :ride:

I have to agree with the Rat on this one. Several years ago, I had three bikes belonging to three different friends in my garage. Yes, they took up space, but not nearly as much as if I had been storing a buddy's car. I dealt with it, because they were friends and had no good place to keep them where they lived. They all got to a point where they had a place with enough storage space for their bikes. It all worked out in the end and we're all still friends.

Like others said, you are his friend and agreed to store it for him, so suck it up and store it. besides, it looks as though you have a free bike to use, my theory is, if I am storing it, it's mine to use as I want. Be a good friend and keep storing it. Even if you can't find him, he will be back at some time (as long as he aint dead or in prison). it sounds like he might be having some finacial difficulties or is completely wrapped up with a woman, either way I am guessing he thinks you are willing to store his bike and don't have issue with doing so as it was what you had previously agreed to.

Now, if you don't care about having him as a friend anymore or it is causing you so much touble taking up 90 cu/ft of space, you can go thru the leagal trouble of putting a lien on the bike for storage. Send a few certified letters to his last know address, when the letters are returned non deliverable you will have legal grounds and will be able to take over ownership of the bike (sell it) After a bit of time the state will gladly reissue a title in your name and he is out a bike.....don't expect him to be happy about it if he comes looking for it down the road, and don't expect to have a friend anymore...

Or you could just be a D***head, tear the whole thing down and ebay everything. When he comes looking for it just say you don't know what he is talking about and that you never had his bike....

Now, personally, if it were I, it sounds as though you agreed to store the bike, so I would store the bike, I would use it as a loaner and a back up bike. Keep it maintained, ride it, let others ride it and when he comes looking for it you can give it to him in as good or better shape than when he left it with you. He will be happy you still have it, its in great condition and everyone wins, including the people you let use it and the use you got out of it while it was there.......

Or, again, be a d***head and get rid of it.

You don't want to mess with a man's smoker.

I have to agree with the Rat on this one. Several years ago, I had three bikes belonging to three different friends in my garage. Yes, they took up space, but not nearly as much as if I had been storing a buddy's car. I dealt with it, because they were friends and had no good place to keep them where they lived. They all got to a point where they had a place with enough storage space for their bikes. It all worked out in the end and we're all still friends.