Rampart suggestions

Hey, I'm heading down to Rampart for the first time with a couple buddies on Thursday. I've never been able to get a weekday off to avoid the crowds down there. I have a map, but none of us have been there, so I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to ride. I would say we are all intermediate riders.

E

Don't go. My buddy was just in a head on this last Saturday luckily no serious injuries just crushed pipes and broken levers, but a new helmet is needed due to the helmet to helmet impact. Rampart has fun trails but it is dangerous, hopefully during the week will be better, but stay alert out there.

Rampart isnt that bad...I have been riding up there for 6 years, seen one head on and havent even come close to one myself. There are some trails that if you crank it up youll take your chances with the blind turns.

It is a good place to go, it sometimes gets a little trashed out but that is section dependent, there are some really nice trails also.

I typically go early on a weekend morning or late in the day, but I havent seent he traffic as bad this year as some years previous.

A pretty good loop is 686 to 685 to (Im missing something here, you can use 682 after 686 also) to 681 then up Jackson creek road, down 650 to 677 (look for the trails off the 677 sandy road/trail), 677 (noodles) to 674 and take a return from there, leave from the Garber lot and get about 40-45 miles, leave from the main parking and a get few more miles.

Rampart guys correct me if I got wrong. If your buddies go out there then they probably know the trails Im talking about. But there are a lot more to explore, you cant really get lost so do some exploring.

Thursday night is probably going to be light traffic if any at all.

Have fun. :ride:

Went last friday afernoon and was not bad. You really have to watch your speed and look ahead for other riders. Don't fly around blind corners, and watch and listen for those that are. Keep your speed in check all the time because the trails are quite narrow for 2 way traffic in a lot of spots. Not uncommon to swap bars often.

All good advice except for the "Don't go" comment :ride: I may be heading out there Thursday as well. PM me is you'd like to ride (or even just to chat) with someone who knows the area fairly well.

If you have a map you won't get lost. You can just pick out a couple of large loops and go to town. Weekdays are good riding out there.

Be safe and enjoy!

I agree with the "Don't go" reply. I can't stand Rampart, I never have been disappointed going anywhere on my bike. Until I went to Rampart that is, what a cluster *****. Trails are all blasted & whooped out, the ones you want to rip and go fast on have blind corners with other riders coming the other way just as fast as you are. So you can't even go fast a pin these corners.

I for one will never go there again. I guess I'm one less guy you have to worry about coming around the corners.

But opinions are like ******* and this is just my $.02

Lots of fun trails in my opinion. I used to go on Monday's a lot and it's a lot better than on the weekends. I only had one near miss as far as head on crashes go in all the years I've been going. The scariest thing I almost hit was a deer that jumped out a few feet in front of me!

There are a lot of good trails, yeh the most traffic'ed (is that word?) ones are kinda trashed out but there are a lot of folks working all the time to help improve the system up there and over the years it has gotten better. we have some new trails this year and COHVCO and others are working hard to bring us more, they need volunteers also.

Use the map and when you get on a trail that is obviously very popular, if you dont like it use the the map and I am sure youll find something you like close by. Like I said there are organizations that need volunteers to help improve things.

Rampart is light years ahead of what I saw back east this summer, we are pretty lucky.

Rampart is light years ahead of what I saw back east this summer, we are pretty lucky.

Oh we are beyond lucky (not just riding areas either). I lived back East my entire life up until 1-1/2 years ago.

We only wish we moved here years ago....

Still don't like Rampart thoguh :ride:

I was just there Monday, and there was only a handful of people there, got in 102 miles and only crossed paths with four other people all day.

Word.

It's a totally 'go-when-the-goin's-good'-type trail system. You have to ride 'smart' and not drag the bars in the corners when you don't know what may or may not be coming at you. ALWAYS be cautious when you can't see what's coming at you in order to make a safe 'de-cel'. Like Wilford Brimley says, "It's the right thing to do". You just HAVE to know there will probably be someone there when you don't expect it. That's the rule.:ride:

It's a great trail system (which I thank God for quite a bit, btw) and the more people know and respect, the better off we will ALL be!

Now....... go twist!

My advise would be to try and stay near the Southern end of the system. 676, 650, 649, 679, 677. The closer you are to the Northern end of the system. The more people you will see. I know the system pretty well. Don't need a map. If someone wants to meet up their tomorrow afternoon I may be able to make it up their by 4:30.

I have been riding Rampart since the early 80's and love it. Trail maps are inexpensive and can be bought at the gas station right in Sedalia... they are always nice to have anyways. +1 for hitting the trails to the South, as you get closer to the entrance you encounter more traffic. The trails are marked (to the best of their ability) as easy, medium and hard. This is not always the case for the whole trail. I have found that the best way to get to know Rampart is just to go explore... plenty of room to do that. Have Fun!

I've been riding at Rampart since I was 6 years old. Over 20 years now.

It is true that rampart can be dangerous. The trails are thin, with lots of blind corners, and all the trails are 2 directional. There is always the chance of a head to head crash.

One of the biggest problems with Rampart is the car sized ATV's that are everywhere. The trails are suppose to have a 50 in width limit, but that is not enforced. I don't have a problem with ATV's, but I do have a problem with ATV's that are too big for the trails. I also have a big problem with the many ATV riders who do not wear helmets, or even goggles.

Also, remember that off-road vehicles are NOT allowed on the main road. I promise you'll see people riding on it, but if there is a ranger around, it's an instant ticket. Also, make sure to have an OHV sticker, and the OHV card with you, they have been checking this year...

Well, since this post is still going, I guess I'll add my thoughts after my ride... I ended up heading up there last Thursday morning and parked at the restaurant (Sprucewood?) We rode for a good 4-5 hours and only saw 5-6 people. I have to say that is one of the best places I have ridden. I can see why many people advise against ridding it on the weekend. Seems like it could be a bit dangerous with a lot of people on the trail. All in all, a REALLY great trail system and we are very lucky to have it!