Clunk into first gear from a stop.

Hi all.

My bike makes an alarmingly solid clunk when tapping down into first gear with the clutch completely in (when about to get going, from full stationary).

The clutch seems to disengage fully, as I have even tried pulling it in all the way to the bar. This should be well released, going by my tests like slowly releasing clutch while in gear to see where the drive is felt etc.

Is this normal? Seems like it may not be being too kind on the gears. Is there any other factors in the clutch system itself to look for that might be affecting the release other than cable adjustment?

Cheers!

Paul

Clutches are funny things. Some release fully and some don't. Some don't release until they are forced to by gear engagement. Once it is in gear, can you toe it back into neutral easily? What are you using for oil? Same hot or cold? What is your idle speed? How does your "clunk" compare with other motorcycles? It is the nature of motorcycle transmissions to have a certain amount of clunk. The bigger the transmission the bigger the clunk.

Yup, it can be clicked back up into neutral very easily. And im sure it is adjusted properly. I have actually just changed the oil as I had hoped that might fix it but it did not. Now using some fancy synthetic motorcycle oil. Idle speed is as low as it can maintain. I have had plenty of other bikes and never had one that made quite this much of a clunk... How do you know if the clutch itself is worn or needs some kind of internal adjustment? Is there anything else that could cause it internally?

As far as the DRZ goes, I cant think of anything inside the tranny that would normally cause this. Some wear on the shift fork or perhaps the shift drum but these parts are pretty stout. My guess is there is some residual tension in the clutch pack but I would take a good look at your driveline parts first i,e, countershaft sprocket, chain, etc.

How much free-play do you normally keep in your clutch lever?

Hey PW. Try this.

1)While in Neutral and engine running, grab the clutch and drop it into first. You'll probably still hear that clunk. Now, without releasing the clutch, shift back to neutral give it a second or two and go back to first. Did it still clunk?

2)Try the same thing but release and regrab the clutch while it is in neutral. Did it clunk that time?

If it clunks the second time but not the first time, then it is just the clutch stack like the others have said. If it clunks both times, I'm out of guesses.

sre

If it does this worse when cold or has been sitting for awhile then its the plates sticking together when the lever is pulled in. To some extent its normal. You may have a look at the basket fingers to see if its getting notches in it,same for the drive hub.

If it does this worse when cold or has been sitting for awhile then its the plates sticking together when the lever is pulled in. To some extent its normal. You may have a look at the basket fingers to see if its getting notches in it,same for the drive hub.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

Gee thanks for all the replies! :ride: I have set the idle really low otherwise if it is any higher it tends to hang a little when pulling up to a stop. Lowering the idle seemed to cure that.

Hey PW. Try this.

1)While in Neutral and engine running, grab the clutch and drop it into first. You'll probably still hear that clunk. Now, without releasing the clutch, shift back to neutral give it a second or two and go back to first. Did it still clunk?

2)Try the same thing but release and regrab the clutch while it is in neutral. Did it clunk that time?

If it clunks the second time but not the first time, then it is just the clutch stack like the others have said. If it clunks both times, I'm out of guesses.

sre

Ok... So it clunks ONLY when going into first for the first time. In and out of gear after this with clutch held in is no problem. So that means?...

Gee thanks for all the replies! :ride: I have set the idle really low otherwise if it is any higher it tends to hang a little when pulling up to a stop. Lowering the idle seemed to cure that.

Ok... So it clunks ONLY when going into first for the first time. In and out of gear after this with clutch held in is no problem. So that means?...

Do you mean "first time" as in first riding out for a ride that day or ?????????

i recenctly replaced my clutch plates and the issue of having the spring washers with the first (larger diameter )plate came up. some aftermarket replacements DO NOT use the larger plate and spring washer. the OEM setup ( i was told ) was to help separation and to minimize that cold shift clunk. if your bike was bought used , perhaps it has an aftermarket setup...

Some minor clunking would seem to be normal.

What oil / weight are you running? I haven't seen anything that I would consider abnormal on my DRZ (I run ester based 15w50), but on previous bikes I've owned switching to a higher quality / different viscosity oil reduced the tendency for the symtom you describe.