Engine upgrade for 2001 2500HD?

I am looking at putting in a later generation LS motor into my 300 hp 2001 2500HD. Option 1 is the 340 hp Escalade motor that only needs a new EFI map. Option 2 is a 400 hp VVT motor from a Denali that needs a lot more work to use. I tow a race car and a motorcycle trailer and want a bit more torque and ease of towing. A brand new complete crate LS motor is less than $3k so it's not too expensive. The other choice is to rebuild the motor and install a blower which is more expensive.

Has anyone out there done the LS swap before?

Thanks

I don't think a diesel is needed - I'd just buy a new truck. If I upgrade the motor and it looks the same and runs clean I don't see how there is a smog check issue... The blower kit is smog legal too. A brand new crate motor is only about $3k too.

i would definatly go with a duramax if you plan on towing i know you said that you would rather have gas but with a diesel you can pull a lot easier and the truck will last a lot longer and require less repairs. if i was you i would seriously consider getting a diesel. just my 2 cents

i would definatly go with a duramax if you plan on towing i know you said that you would rather have gas but with a diesel you can pull a lot easier and the truck will last a lot longer and require less repairs. if i was you i would seriously consider getting a diesel. just my 2 cents[/quote

Don't go with the duramax . I have the 6.0L in my Silverado and have towed plenty with it and have never had any issues. The supercharger kit would be my choice. If you are gonna swap motors go for the Escalade 6.0L.

i would definatly go with a duramax if you plan on towing i know you said that you would rather have gas but with a diesel you can pull a lot easier and the truck will last a lot longer and require less repairs. if i was you i would seriously consider getting a diesel. just my 2 cents[/quote

Don't go with the duramax . I have the 6.0L in my Silverado and have towed plenty with it and have never had any issues. The supercharger kit would be my choice. If you are gonna swap motors go for the Escalade 6.0L.

whats your problem with a d-max its a great engine .

if you want a gasser get a LQ4 6.0 or LQ9 6.0 if you really want some muscle but you will be running premium on the LQ9

I know of a few friends that have the same motor and had motor problems too go with either a 8liter or diesel the does tow better and gets way better fuel mpg. there are a few supercharged 6liters in my town and they say they not that great and the mpg really sucks.

whats your problem with a d-max its a great engine .

if you want a gasser get a LQ4 6.0 or LQ9 6.0 if you really want some muscle but you will be running premium on the LQ9

Read carefully, I didn't say I had a problem with the Duramax. The OP is looking for upgrdes to his current engine, not to replace it. That is why I recomended the supercharger or if a swap was in order the LQ9 because it would be a more straightforward swap than the Duramax.

Good luck on smogging and registering it when you are done. Probably cheaper and easier replacing the truck than going the way you were thinking.

you might be surprised I think he would have fairly little issue with that, most etest goons can't tell their ass from a whole in the ground much less which motor is which, honestly there all ls block engines so even for a well trained eye it would be tough.

I do think unless your motor is awfully tired, I think the charger may be better bang for the buck. but there are plenty of the 6.0's out of the pre 07 denali's for pretty good prices. if you could find the L92 motor that came in the 07 denali's for a decent price and overcome the tuning issues that would be the pimp setup.

Bryce

Cold Air intake free flowing exaust, and a programmer. go that rought and you will only be looking at about $600-1000 idk if wanted more power thats what i would do, a new motor sounds big fix for a not so big problem...plus you will get like 18-19mpg when not hooked up