Would parting out a 450R be worth it???

Im thinking about getting a whole complete 450R for some parts i need for my XR650, ive been scrolling thru craigslist and there are a few that are running bikes like 02/03 for $2k and one under that. Now i really only want the forks and carb off of it, thru ebay those are about $250-300 each so would it be worth it to buy a complete bike to get the stuff and part out everything else and maybe save myself some money as im sure i could get more for everything else??? Im thinking the big seller is a complete and running engine, wheels, shock, frame, the rest is little stuff but still very sellable but whats the market for the parts??? Figured you guys that own them would know best so im hoping can get some info. I think if i can get one for 1800 that i could part out for maybe $1500 after i take the forks and carb, what do you all think????

• Like 1

It probably would be worth it if you have the time to take everything apart and clean it up so it looks nice to sell, then box it up and ship it if you sell on ebay. Realize that some of the parts off an 02 or 03 will not fit the newer models and may not sell for as much as some of the newer model bikes. I don't think you would lose money though. Everything will sell, it's just a matter of how much.

Yeah i dont mind tearing the whole bike down and cleaning if it saves me money in the long run, i just know that from watching forks and carbs on ebay that the price is about $500-600, im just not sure what the rest of a bike would go for if i buy one for around $1800 and sell the rest of it, what do you all think a decent running engine would fetch on Ebay??? Im sure wheels would be somewhere close to $300-400 for the set. the bikes have full exhaust on them too (aftermarket) so i know thats something that would sell decent also.

'05 newer would be easier imo to make $ from. more of those then anything

cant find the 05 and newer for under $2k, plus with me just wanting forks and carb off of it the 03/02 forks would use the same brake caliper off my 650R so that would also be easy to deal with. So thats why ive targeted around this year, for the price and parts fitment.

I'd guess a complete engine would be close to $1000, and the rear wheel will fit all years, so it would fetch $100-$300 depending on condition, the front not as much. Exhaust for that year will not fetch much more than $100 I'd guess.

A complete aftermarket exhause like WB or PC i was estimating around $300 if its in good shape, the ones im looking at have either of those full systems. WOW i was guessing $750 for a motor and would prolly be happy with that.