who rides alone?

It's really not safe to ride dirbikes alone on the trails in the wilderness/desert!! If you do~ Just be careful!!

Nailed it :busted:

Stuff happens, we just happen to have hobbies that are slightly higher risk than say "stamp collecting". Some would say that's silly or dangerous, others would say have at it.

For me, life's an adventure. A little risk makes it all the more fun. I'd hate to reach 90 years and have nothing to show for my time here.

It's really not safe to ride dirbikes alone on the trails in the wilderness/desert!! If you do~ Just be careful!!

Depends on your definition of 'safe'. It's also not 'safe' to ride motorcycles at all, ever, anywhere. It's also not safe to drive a car, take a shower, play volleyball, go to the beach, bbq and many other things.

Experience has shown me that it's safer for me to ride alone than it is for most people to ride in groups, and safer even than driving for many people.

I've seen more people get hurt in ride groups rather than riding alone.

Seems to me more people ride over their head when they ride with groups of people (gotta show who's the fastest and the best in the group) ... when one rides alone you tend to be a little more modest and less competitive.

... when one rides alone you tend to be a little more modest and less competitive.

There you go! Bizarre stuff can happen at anytime but aside from that, when I ride alone I'm ultra conservative. I rode alone this past weekend and took a loop that I forgot had a downed tree across the trail. I have made it over this tree several times before while riding with a group, but because I was alone I did what I thought was the prudent thing and walked my bike over it. If I had bobbled riding across it, I wouldn't have been able to save myself and would have ended up with a bike on top of me and getting slammed hard into the tree (weird downhill angle of the fallen tree).

It's all about personal opinion on personal safety...

I mean, technically, if we all wanted to be safe, we would wear helmets in CARS.. But who does????

Whereas what can not wearing gloves on a motorcycle hurt? Bad road rash? Pain? I guarantee wearing gloves vs no wearing gloves WONT be the difference between life and death.. but I WILL guarantee wearing a helmet in a car vs not wearing a helmet WILL be the difference in MANy life and death injuries...

But of course, that won't make you wear a helmet in a car.. But of course, you might look at someone strangly for not wearing gloves on a motorcycle....

edit: just so no one gets me wrong, sure you COULD die from having your hands grown down to nothing... I'm talking what ACTUALLY happens in real life, not a once in a lifetime type of thing ?I could die anytime from someone slamming into me, already had one car hit me, definitely aware of odds of cars hitting me, and/or injurys happening to me from riding :banana:

But, wouldn't you agree there are things worse than death?

To me, imagining not having the use of my hands (VERY possible, considering how fragile and unprotected the hands are... going back to my days as a Occupational Therapist, here!) is right up there with death... really, I prefer to protect myself as much as I can, so i won't end up permanently MAIMED, either! I can handle the thought of death a lot easier than some of the horrible injuries I've seen...

Not that I'm going to stop riding because of the fear of permanent injury OR death, I'm just going to protect myself enough so that if something takes me out and causes injury, it IS likely to be bad enough to kill me... I'm ok with that! :busted:

Everyone has to make up their own minds...

(BTW, not to nit pik, but I have my doubts about your assertions that helmets would save that many car drivers... with seatbelts being mandated now, I don't think head injuries are the big killers in car accidents. I think its over all blunt force trauma that'll kill you in most bad accidents... if its bad enough to squash your head, chances are the rest of you is taking more than it can handle as well! I'm basing this on working with a lot of auto accident victims, during my days as a Therapist... but maybe you have better, first-hand info...?)

Understand, got it- thanks for the edit. won't happen again!!

to the mods, admins, and the site.... I'm sorry for my personality's little demon slipping out thru my fingertips. very immature on my part- especially since my point is moot now. I do acknowledge the infraction that got me the warning- and i agree. I shouln't have said 'bite me' or 'eat it' to anyone.

that was silly! at first, i felt pretty darn justified in saying it to the person, but after reading it edited, i wish i wouln't have- it wasn't neccesary to add that- to say what i had to say.

:busted: No worries, its hard when you are new... everyone else knows the rules, and knows how to go right up to the line, without going over! (**cough**LLAMA**cough**) ?:banana:

(BTW, not to nit pik, but I have my doubts about your assertions that helmets would save that many car drivers... with seatbelts being mandated now, I don't think head injuries are the big killers in car accidents. I think its over all blunt force trauma that'll kill you in most bad accidents... if its bad enough to squash your head, chances are the rest of you is taking more than it can handle as well! I'm basing this on working with a lot of auto accident victims, during my days as a Therapist... but maybe you have better, first-hand info...?)

Yeah, but you just see the survivors!

I think helmets would save some car drivers - mostly the stupid ones that don't wear their seatbelts. :busted: (as if they are going to wear a helmet). In the time that I was an active EMT/FF, the fatalities I saw for seatbelted people included body trauma and head injury. A car roof can definitely cave in and hit a person's head, or in a bad rollover accident a seatbelted person's head can go through a window and be traumatized.

Now if only people would put on a helmet before they fall off a ladder or roof...

Yeah, but you just see the survivors!

Yeah, if you want to call it that...

Its nice to patch someone up and see them roll away with a beating heart... and you know you did all you can, and you did good job. And I'm sure it sucks to see someone smeared on the pavement. (Actually, I know it sucks, I've seen it twice, non-professionally...)

But it also sucks a year later, when you have to tell a family you have done all you can, and you can't fool the insurance company any more, you aren't doing their slacked jawed, vacant eyed, drooling loved one any more good... you have to stop the worthless therapy sessions...

Yeah. That's why I put criminals in prison now. Somehow, its not nearly as painful...

Go figure. :busted:

Its nice to patch someone up and see them roll away with a beating heart...

It's haunting when you know someone has survived but their quality of life is something that could not be saved.

This being a small community, you likely know the person and their family. It just sucks.

It's haunting when you know someone has survived but their quality of life is something that could not be saved.

This being a small community, you likely know the person and their family. It just sucks.

I bet... ? Funny, the worst head injuries I've seen, that survived, with the worst function, were both young people and related to drinking... one young girl was sitting on a pickup tailgate at a field party when the pick up took off unexpectedly and she flipped out and landed on her head. She was conscious but before they got her to the ER her ICP was through the roof and she was in a coma... the other, mid-20s, did a 'keg stand' then fell off a 2ft tall porch on his head... never walked or talked again. :banana:

Jeez, sorry to be all morbid... guess my point is, alcohol really raises the probability of brain damage in a head injury situation, because of its blood thinning properties... one more reason to NOT drink & ride!!

Heck, I guess this can be our thread for safety rants... :busted:

And BC, I'm sorry, I in NO way meant to minimize what you do or what you must see every day... re-reading what I wrote I feel like a jerk because it kind of read like thats where I was going... I REALLY REALLY appreciate what you women/men do out there!! And am so glad there are people like you that have the stomach, and the heart, to do it!! :busted:?

I've been the beneficiary of EMS/Paramedic's dedication more than once :banana: , truly you are the angels in the ambulance!!

Too much sun = too darn hot = too darn exhausting = heat stroke ?

Got blackout (well, i was seeing all white :busted:).... was literally sleeping under the sun, and couldn't ride anymore....

imag00121ws0.jpg

imag00182qq7.jpg

imag00161ot8.jpg

imag00152rn4.jpg

That's why never ever ride (trails) alone.... Keep enjoying what's life stored for you, but think about your well-being and safety as well

• Like 1

Too much sun = too darn hot = too darn exhausting = heat stroke :banana:

I could see where if you were riding a win-starved and dangerous bike like a yamaha (chad reed said his yamaha caused him to crash badly, and he was scared to ride it), heat stroke might be an issue. On a faster bike, like a ktm, you'll get plenty of wind to cool you off, and you won't spend so much time with the bike lying on it's side like chad's bike, or josh grant's bike. :banana::busted:?

:banana: :banana:

lol, sorry for the thread hijack girls, this post is only meant to make fun of dtkiko, not any other yamaha riders.

And BC, I'm sorry, I in NO way meant to minimize what you do or what you must see every day... re-reading what I wrote I feel like a jerk because it kind of read like thats where I was going...

Oh, NO worries! I didn't read anything negative into your post. :busted: From the EMTs to the PT's to the people who put the bad guys away - it's all part of the same cycle, trying to clean up the aftermath of bad luck and/or bad decisions.

Yep, Llama. +1 on young people & alcohol being some of the worst and saddest accidents...

Okay... back from commercial break, back to the program...

"Who Rides Alone"

***Please read before posting***

"Disclaimer Rules"

You must remain on topic until the next break. Yes or no answers are preferred, but all opinions are welcome. If you disagree with another post and feel the urge to state your opinion, you may do so, but must remain calm at all times. You may not verbally bash or attack a poster in any way. No one has to agree on anything. You may state you don’t agree, you can even agree to disagree, but you must agree that even if you disagree, things will remain civil. If you are currently suffering from PMS, your opinion is no longer valid and will be temporarily disabled and you may not post on this subject until you have recovered. You may NOT bring this discussion to another forum or talk about a poster from this discussion in another forum. Lastly... it always forbidden to refer to any Thumpette as a "Kotex.”

Three, two, one... go.... :busted: