Sign in to follow this  

My XR75 Mini-Racer Completed

Thanks.

Did you powder coat the rims as well.

Yes, PC'ed the rims. It holds up well. Biggest concern is mounting / dismounting tires. With metal on metal (spoon to rim) you can / will damgage the finish if your really wrestling them. I use those motion pro rubber guards. they are kind of a pain, but work. Or just cut a piece of old fuel hose down the center, for a guard.

What a nice job ! ....here's my 78 XR75 in a more stock form along with my 81 IT175H on display at the Glenn H. Curtiss museum in Hammondsport NY.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=80067

peryco- nice bikes!! i went back and forth for awhile trying to decide whether or not to stay twin shocker, or go mono. I like both. Your DG replica pipe is on my list of future purchases.

By the way. That looks like quite the musuem...??

Vet where did you get the swingarm chain guard. I am having a hard time locating one. Also, the roller under the swingarm pivot, what is this off and where can I locate one of those as well. Thanks again. Bike is sweet.

Vet, Yes the Glenn Curtiss museum is a gear-heads dream. Full of planes motorcycles boats and automobiles from the turn of the century up . Curtiss started out as a bicycle and motorcycle builder and then planes. He's known as the father of naval aviation and was in stiff competition with the Wright Bros. The famous WWII P-40 fighter plane called the "Flying Tiger" was a Curtiss plane. And the crazy S.O.B. rode this 40 h.p.V-8 shaft drive motorcycle in 1907 to a world land speed record of 136.3 mph . It's a great place to visit when in the NY fingerlakes region....shameless plug ! Awesome job on the XR...I bet Jeff Ward would wish he was a kid again if he saw that bike !

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=80097

Vet where did you get the swingarm chain guard. I am having a hard time locating one. Also, the roller under the swingarm pivot, what is this off and where can I locate one of those as well. Thanks again. Bike is sweet.

Chain guard is stock Honda part. Off of xr100, 79-81 believe. XR80's might be the same as well. The roller is model generic, moose racing. They make two (at least) generic ones. Don't get the mini one, I ordered one, it had no bearing in it. I didn't like it, so I got one for a full size bike, has the bearing in it.

Vetrider,

This is one of the sweetest XR75's that I have ever seen. I have a couple questions about your bike when you get time to answer them.

1. Where did you get the frame cradle or did you make it?

2. It looks like you used a XR100 swingarm? It looks longer than a stock XR75. Did you also use the XR100 rear wheel? I have both and the rear wheel on the XR75 doesn't fit the XR100 swingarm (width) unless I am missing something?

3. The fork set up looks so trick. Did you shorten the travel on the 95 CR80 forks? The brake stay is very trick.

Thanks and be very proud of what you have created.

Mike

Vetrider,

This is one of the sweetest XR75's that I have ever seen. I have a couple questions about your bike when you get time to answer them.

1. Where did you get the frame cradle or did you make it?

2. It looks like you used a XR100 swingarm? It looks longer than a stock XR75. Did you also use the XR100 rear wheel? I have both and the rear wheel on the XR75 doesn't fit the XR100 swingarm (width) unless I am missing something?

3. The fork set up looks so trick. Did you shorten the travel on the 95 CR80 forks? The brake stay is very trick.

Thanks and be very proud of what you have created.

Mike

Thanks for compliments!!

1. I made the cradle, but the idea came from banke performance. I liked the single tube idea.

2. It is an XR100 swingarm w/ the custom loop. I did use both XR75 wheels (I like the size, astetically). You will have machine custom spacers, I refuse to use stacks of washers. I bought a cheapy china Horrible Freight type bench lathe, about 1/2 way thru this project. Its well worth its $300 price tag. Unless you have other access, or a deep wallet, it would be difficult to complete a project like this without one.

3. Yes I did have to shorten the CR80 forks, I believe it was 2 or 3 inches. I got the rear suspension figured out, then leveled the bike out by shorteing the forks the corrrect amount. I also had to weld in a larger, stronger steering stop. As the CR forks are much wider, and larger tubes. Without the stop, they will smash your nice new tank before they hit full lock. This pics shows both.

springs_too-long.jpg

Good luck with your XR!

Bike is now for sale in classifieds and on ebag. It now has a 1997 XR100 motor (with the nice modern electronics!).

I would add pics but i can't figure out how to anymore.....

Edited by vetrider16

I am going to build a Jeff Ward replica XR75 using a stock 1977 as my springboard. Anybody out there know how others who have built such a bike attach the CR125

side plates to the XR frame. May just be as simple as drilling holes and using zip ties but I thought if there was a really trick way of doing it someone here would know.