Sign in to follow this  

Cracked clutch Cover

Lent my bike to my son on the weekend which came home with bent bars and a very slight crack in the clutch sidecover.

Not bad but enough to leave a sweat of oil on the outside.

Short of buying a new genuine cover I have been looking at what has been written about the Case Savers sold by TT.

If I fitted a Case Saver and made sure there was plenty of silicone around where the crack is would that be sufficient or am I better to look at a new case,

If I was to buy a new case I would like to find a billet one that would be stronger.

Does anyone know where to get a better clutch side case or is the case saver the better option.

I am sure someone has been there done that!

There are replacement aftermarket billet clutch covers....SBF comes to mind as a source. The web page is down at present but I think the number is 289-213-7047

Many have used a metal repair goo to seal the oem cracked cover, then added the TT case guard on top as added protection..

the ones that Sharkfab has started making look fairly decent.

for a cheaper price you can buy an extra I have and put the guards on

A pic would help but if you can JB weld it then put a case saver on the top with sikoflex or similar you'd be ok but I'd keep a close eye on it. To be honest I d do that while I sorced a cheap replacement on ebay.

Dan

There are replacement aftermarket billet clutch covers....SBF comes to mind as a source.

Many have used a metal repair goo to seal the oem cracked cover, then added the TT case guard on top as added protection..

I think Forrest carries the SFB's as well.:busted:

Check it out! Probably the best customer service on the planet.:thumbsup:

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com

It is just a cover, not structural, so if you can stop the leak you are good to go. If you are going to replace it (with the sons money, he broke it, he fixes it, good learning) JB weld it for now, but don't put on a case guard, as unless you just put a thin strip of silicone around the edge you won't get it back off. That would be a waste. If you decide to keep it and just repair it, lean the bike over to the left side, solvent clean the crack, and then either glue on a case saver and use extra RTV on the crack, or patch it with JB Weld, but don't put a bump of JB and then the case guard after or you will have a high spot.

I will probably go with the case saver and the liquid metal repair for now.

Then look for a billet one that I like at hopefully a good price.

Thanks for your input everyone:thumbsup:

I am starting to get the hang of TT

Actually it is becoming an addiction.

P.S Yes the boy is paying. Lucky for him I had a pair of bars that had a 12 month full replacement guarantee against bending so it saved him that cost

And make sure you explain to him that the reason he is paying is not that you are mad, ok, who are we kidding, but that if it was you that did the damage you would have to pay to fix it so you could use it again, and since he did the damage he has to fix it. The only difference is that since it is not his bike he cannot make the choice just to let it sit.

He undrestands " You Bend You Spend "

I have a set of TT case savers on the way hopefully they wont take too long to get here.

If the crack isn't near a seam I would use Marine Tex epoxy on it...the grey version of it...at most boat shops...The stuff is fantastic...repaired car tranny channel cracks that had high pressure oil leaks..hardens as strong as the metal it adheres to.