Sign in to follow this  

250exc-f or 400?

Hi I'm looking at buying a new ktm [and my first ktm] and was thinking i would get a 250 ride it and probably big bore it when the first piston is due, but in the back of my mind wondering if it would just be better to get the 400? so any one ridden both and what are your thoughts? most of my riding is off road and hard as I can find single track with plenty of general trail riding thrown in, thanks for any input.

I have an 03 250exc 4t and a 07 400xcw.I have put 200 hrs on each bike over the years.As far as handling goes,both bikes feel very much the same.As far as power,the 400 is way more torquier,but still very easy to handle in the tight trails,the 250 i find to be underpowered,and needs to be riden at higher rpm,not that thats a bad thing, just different.Your weight ,size,the type of terrain you ride,all need to be considered when buying a bike.Im 220lbs an 6'2 so the 400 is more suited for me,although the 250 will take me anywhere the 400 will.Greg

I second gktm400....I had a 250 before (YZ) and find my 400 easier to ride all around with plenty of power/torque to get you through any situation.

I vote the 400.

Unless you get the 250 RFS with the HT Racing 355 or 400 kit. But then you are talking about an 07 or earlier frame and suspension that will need some work to make it premo.

I've 250 excf. Its great.

Buy one and throttle.

It likes hi revs, but the rear wheel never gets out of control...

I have an 03 250exc 4t and a 07 400xcw.I have put 200 hrs on each bike over the years.As far as handling goes,both bikes feel very much the same.As far as power,the 400 is way more torquier,but still very easy to handle in the tight trails,the 250 i find to be underpowered,and needs to be riden at higher rpm,not that thats a bad thing, just different.Your weight ,size,the type of terrain you ride,all need to be considered when buying a bike.Im 220lbs an 6'2 so the 400 is more suited for me,although the 250 will take me anywhere the 400 will.Greg

I have an 01 400exc (now 472) and an 09 250xcw. The 400 is more enjoyable to ride on single track as well as open roads. The 250 is an edgier ride that wants to be revved up higher and requires much more gear shifts to stay on the power. Whole lotta work vs. the luggable 400 (472).

I really expected the 250 to feel more spry than the 400 given the 20 pound weight difference. Surprisingly not. (unless I am continuously picking the bike and myself up from the dirt after crashes).

thanks for the feed back, am leaning more to the 400 now I do like the thought of a torquier motor, quickly gave up a 200 two stroke for a 300 as I found the extra torque made it much easier to ride and I'm guessing that's going to be similar to the 250 verse's the 400, and guessing the 400 would be more reliable to?