Sign in to follow this  

Good gloves for cold/wet conditions?

I know that it is still summertime, but I'm getting my winter riding gear sorted out now, and I'm dreaming of colder days and lots of puddles. Last year I used the thor ride glove and they were no better than cheap 20 dollar mx gloves. They were bad for both the cold weather, and wet conditions, which is strange because the ride pants and jacket are awesome. I will have grip warmers set up on one of my bikes, but probably not on my yz, so getting good gloves will be pretty important. I also like some of the crazy windblock barkbuster setups that I've seen from some of the ice racer guys out there, so forwarded pics of those and a how to tutorial might be pretty useful too. Thanks in advance.

try to wear surgical latex gloves underneath your normal gloves, it will keep your hands dry which will go a long way to keep your hands warmer

The fox polar paws did an ok job of keeping them warm in cool conditions... but like previously mentioned wearing latex gloves underneath your riding gloves holds the heat very well.

My son and I ride year round in the coastal mountains which means a lot of 35 degree rain/snow riding. I found a pair of snowboarding gloves that have lasted me two seasons. They are waterproof, have a leather-like palm and are pretty light weight. Look around - there are a lot of options out there.

I just use elephant ears and my normal gloves. I have a set of Ride gloves which work good but seem to give me wicked arm pump compared to my normal gloves. I need to break them in better.

Just blocking the wind off helps a lot if your carrying a lot of speed.

try to wear surgical latex gloves underneath your normal gloves, it will keep your hands dry which will go a long way to keep your hands warmer

+1 been doing this for a long time while snowmobiling the hand warmers always make my hands sweaty.

+1 for the MSR elephant ears and normal riding gloves. Been doing that for years and nothing else compares. I also really like my HMK Factory Team gloves for snowmobiling (can't stand the Klim inversion gloves, Thor ride gloves, or any other glove with a thick palm - can't feel the controls and get wicked arm pump). My hands sweat way too much to run latex or nitrile gloves.

http://www.hmksnowmobiling.com/web/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=139

Those look good. Thanks for the link. I hated the way those thor ride gloves felt too, way too thick in the palm and the entire bottom of the hand, but I figured that when it got really cold I'd be glad I had em. How wrong I was. I am going to try the latex glove thing just to test it, but I have sweaty hands, so I doubt that they'll work. Those snow mobile gloves really look like they'll do the trick.

I like msr windstoppers. Not lined at all, but I even use them snowmobiling.

Check out what cross country ski racers are wearing. Waterproof ,breathable warm, but not too warm,but not too thick in the palm. Their poles are alot like moto grips and even though their color sceams might be a little day glow , they are pretty durable

Scott neoprene gloves works well for me, combined with something that stops wind as mentioned before I have used them down to -15 celcius (about 5 degrees Fahrenheit if google is correct)

Just need something warmer when unloading the bike, after I start riding the blood pumps well enough to keep me warm.

174A95211G09601o71U05E21R95699X9

When my hands go, my ride goes. I have pretty good luck with Mechanix Wear cold weather gloves, but when it's really nasty cold I stay home. Kidding. I have the best luck with a 100% wind-blocking shell with a wicking liner to get the sappy clammy cold sweat off my skin and moved to the outer surface to let the wind get rid of it.

Big fatty brushguards for off-road riding helps, too. I'm talkin' the 80's style MSR brush guards!