Sign in to follow this  

Carolina riders with street bikes.....

Just thought I would throw this out there, Myself and several of my flying buddies that have street bikes do a ride once a year somewhere in the mountains for the day. Were going this year on the 19th of September. ( or 20th if it is rainy on the 19th ) I know several of you guys have street bikes ..... Woodsrider, Parlock, Goose Dog, Pharmed2B, Mark379, etc.... So if anybody here would like to join us please chime in. It would be a mix of everything from some older guys on Harleys to younger guys on crotchrockets.

We are thinking of either riding out of either Shelby or Marion and going up the parkway and back, or possibly meeting somewhere near Cherokee and riding somewhere up in that area.

Any suggestions on ride routes would be appreciated. We want this to be a day ride only and no more than 200 miles total. Some of the guys will trailer their bikes to the meeting place to cut out on the saddle time, most of us already confirmed to go are in the Charlotte metro area.

I didnt know what you rode Gyro...No, Harleys would'nt do well on this ride! This one is for dirt bikes with slicks...

I'm in the NC mountains, Waynesville area. I've got a Monster 750 and a 900 Supersport. I've done my share of gravel with the M750, I try to keep the 900 off gravel, as its got full plastic bodywork ~

JM

Just thought I would throw this out there, Myself and several of my flying buddies that have street bikes do a ride once a year somewhere in the mountains for the day. Were going this year on the 19th of September. ( or 20th if it is rainy on the 19th ) I know several of you guys have street bikes ..... Woodsrider, Parlock, Goose Dog, Pharmed2B, Mark379, etc.... So if anybody here would like to join us please chime in. It would be a mix of everything from some older guys on Harleys to younger guys on crotchrockets.

We are thinking of either riding out of either Shelby or Marion and going up the parkway and back, or possibly meeting somewhere near Cherokee and riding somewhere up in that area.

Any suggestions on ride routes would be appreciated. We want this to be a day ride only and no more than 200 miles total. Some of the guys will trailer their bikes to the meeting place to cut out on the saddle time, most of us already confirmed to go are in the Charlotte metro area.

Ya'll should head up to deals gap that day. We and about 20-30 other cobra's will be running all day up there.

I already have plans that day. I also put a ride together for the following weekend (9/26) to Mt. Mitchell, but the Hardley guys would have a tough time keeping up :thumbsup:

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/south-carolina/422884-9-26-mt-mitchell-ride.html

holy crap some one still uses SBN :busted: I thought that place sunk back in 2003...............

I already have plans that day. I also put a ride together for the following weekend (9/26) to Mt. Mitchell, but the Hardley guys would have a tough time keeping up :busted:

I was up there Yesterday, lots of nice riding all around that area. 80 is fun to get up to the parkway BTW. 226 around Little Switzerland looks like fun too. 197 over near Burnsville has some challenges, but around 5 miles of gravel too.

JM

Ya'll should head up to deals gap that day. We and about 20-30 other cobra's will be running all day up there.

That would be a reason for bikes NOT to go...

That would be a reason for bikes NOT to go...
what you don't like having 3,000lb cars with 400+ hp sliding out of control around corners in the opposite lane ?:busted:

what you don't like having 3,000lb cars with 400+ hp sliding out of control around corners in the opposite lane ?:thumbsup:

hahah closer to 2000:ride: nahhh i was kidding anyways about ya'll coming up. its usually packed anyways, and cant get up to speed or if you do get up to speed there will be a cop around the corner :busted:

I ride a girly bike... a SV650 It sounds like a lawnmower. But a few of the people in our ride group will be on Hogs. And most of them are the types to obey the speed limit.

Last two years we did this ride we met in the Ingles grocery store parking lot on the far west side of shelby, and would ride up 74 to highway 9, then take 9 down to Lake Lure, then take a left on 64 I think it is.... and ride past Margaritagrill and have lunch, then on up the mountain past Chimney Rock, and on to the parkway. We would ride the parkway to whatever the exit off is that takes you down to Marion, and then ride from Marion back to Shelby on backroads. Was about 200 miles roughly and a good ride.

This year I have been told some people in the group didn't want to go past Lake lure as the grill up there is closed and they didn't like riding boring highway 74. So I am supposed to come up with a simular route without the boring parts! I figure maybe some of you guys could advise me on some good routes and also some of you might want to join us

So I am supposed to come up with a simular route without the boring parts! I figure maybe some of you guys could advise me on some good routes and also some of you might want to join us

Follow 74 Business out of Shelby, through Forest City and up to Rutherfordton. Pick up 221 there, and follow it toward Marion. Once in Marion, stick to 221 until you can go WEST on 70. Once on 70, look for NC80 (Lake Tahoma Rd) on the right. It'll take you through some nice riding to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Follow it to Hope off the parkway at Little Switzerland & pick up 226 back toward Marion. You can then follow 226 Back to Shelby. That'll give you some good parts and some boring parts, I can't eliminate all the boring ~

JM

Hey Ron, think I'll have to pass. I'm gonna ride the Mideast race on Sunday instead...

From Shelby (where I grew up), I would suggest the following route:

18N until just past 18/27 intersection.

L on Old Highway 18. Follow until you get to the stop sign in Morganton.(1)

R at the stop sign, down to the light and hang a left.

Through Morganton up 181.

181 until Blue Ridge Parkway(2)

BRP down to Asheville(3)

74Alt back to Rutherfordton(4)

74Bypass back to Shelby.

(1) At the stop sign is an old convenience store where you can regroup.

(2) After 181's curves, cool store on the left with porch and chairs. Owned by a motorcycle enthusiast.

(3) There's gotta be some stop in Asheville.

(4) You know about the big parking lot in the town of Lake Lure.

Oops! Forgot about Redbones at the 18/27 intersection. Surely you guys won't have to stop by then though. That's only like 20 minutes into the ride :thumbsup:

With a wide variety of bikes going, figured it would be best to have designated gathering spots along the route :busted:

Have fun!

I'd go, but I no longer have a bike that's street legal:( All i have is my track bike now... I could give ya some good roads to hit, but if cruiser guys are going, they won't like it:smirk: