Sign in to follow this  

KLX110 Vs CRF70

Buying my nephew a little bike for Christmas. I have narrowed it down to between the KLX110 of CRF70. My questions are:

Is one faster than the other?

More power?

Does one require more, or less, maintenance than the other?

He is short (11 years old) and thin. He has played around on four wheelers, but never a two wheeler. This will be a first bike and not a last. I know he will outgrow either machine, but this is a good starting place, I think. The 80's are a little tall for him and I want him to be able to ride - immediately! I know neither have a manual clutch, and that is ok: I will teach him later on how that works.

Any suggestions and all answers would be highly appreciated.

So, what do "yunz" think???

Buying my nephew a little bike for Christmas. I have narrowed it down to between the KLX110 of CRF70. My questions are:

Is one faster than the other?

More power?

Does one require more, or less, maintenance than the other?

He is short (11 years old) and thin. He has played around on four wheelers, but never a two wheeler. This will be a first bike and not a last. I know he will outgrow either machine, but this is a good starting place, I think. The 80's are a little tall for him and I want him to be able to ride - immediately! I know neither have a manual clutch, and that is ok: I will teach him later on how that works.

Any suggestions and all answers would be highly appreciated.

So, what do "yunz" think???

I bought my wife a 2007 crf 100. She is 5' tall and weighs 100 lbs. Never ridden in her life. The bike is perfect for her, I looked at the 70 but was afraid she would outgrow it to soon. If he is 11 he will out grow it before he is 13. The 100 sits pretty low and has a 200 lbs weight limit. Check it out.

anything you get he will most likely be off it in two years and need a 150r or 85. I would look into the 110 moreso as you can find a used one for 800 bucks all day long. Requires little to no maintenance and is pretty bulletproof. Also the aftermarket parts are endless so if he needs more power, more room, etc. that can all be picked up on the cheap off someone used.

Go with the KLX110. Great bike and can be upgraded as size and skill level grow. Both have a limiting screw so go 110, dial in the limiter and let him rip. my nephew rides mine around and he is 8. go 110, you won't regret it. if you go used, don't get an 02, the output shafts are made of butter.

I'd recommend the KLX110. They KLX and CRF are identical in physical size but the KLX has a little bit more power and about 100 times the aftermarket parts available.

We had both a 2005 CRF70 and now have 3 KLX110s. One stock and two modded. The CRF70 is noticably slower and has much less torque. The 110 with a little jetting and a pipe will keep him happy for quite some time.

My 12 year old and 15 year old have ditched their CR85 and CRF250s for the modded 110s.

Lots of great feedback here - thanks to each-and-every one of you for your opinions and experiences.

I thought the KLX was the way to go; now, with reading and doing a little more research on both machines, I know I am going with the KLX.

I can afford a brand new one. I would like to find a brand new "leftover" from a previous year. We shall see.

Either way, I am confident he is going to enjoy his new machine.

I cannot remember who wrote something concerning jetting on this post, but after working through my 150R/B's jetting issues I am pretty sure I will be able to get his running up to peak performance (if, at all, any jetting needs to be done).

Thanks folks, I appreciate your time....:busted:

Steve

go used.. check the DC craigslists.. there are good used ones for less than 1k. i got one up in passedena MD that was an 06 for $500. save the money, buy a new set of plastics and graphics kit and your set... these bikes are pretty solid and reliable short of the 2002s...

Go with the KLX110. Great bike and can be upgraded as size and skill level grow. Both have a limiting screw so go 110, dial in the limiter and let him rip. my nephew rides mine around and he is 8. go 110, you won't regret it. if you go used, don't get an 02, the output shafts are made of butter.

I really dont get why everyone is saying the 02's output shaft is so flimsy ive been riding mine that I bought from a buddy since it was new when he bought it and it has always been rode hard and seven years later that output shaft is still goin strong

I really dont get why everyone is saying the 02's output shaft is so flimsy ive been riding mine that I bought from a buddy since it was new when he bought it and it has always been rode hard and seven years later that output shaft is still goin strong

Its not the output shaft on teh 02's...lol. Its the crankshaft that had issues.

it was both... crank and output shaft. if you are going to bore it, replace both.. its not if but when the tranny or crank on the 02s will go to crap. also, go 05 or newer if you can. the shift shaft on the older ones were smaller in diameter and strip easier

If I was you I'd go used, pic one up for $500.00 to $1000.00 depending on year and condtion. You can ride it a few years and still get most of your money back. Buy one new and lose about $800.00 when you roll it off the floor. Don't forget the Suzuki drz 110 is the same as klx

aftermarket scene sucks for the ttr's. Just get the klx or drz 110.

The 110 is a great bike for a beginer rider. They can putt around in 1st gear for a long time and have tons of fun. When they get used to the bike you will find just how fast they can wind them up. My kid is pushing 50 mph on a staight away. As far as doing a ton of mods, I think it is way easier to move onto a bigger bike that actually has decent suspension, rather than trying to turn the 110 into something new by pouring a bunch parts and money into it. But if you love to build a bike the sky is the limit with the 110, that is why the BBR ad keeps flashing in front of my face telling me that.

get a klx 110 or a ttr 110. Crf 70 are really slow, and beleive it or not are not as reilable as klx or ttr.me and my mate drag or 110's up a hill and it was pretty well even. Upside to klx is they have heaps of aftermarket parts and the ttrr has stuff all.

I very much appreciate all the feedback my question has generated. Guaranteed I am going with the KLX!:busted:

My 8 year old son, who is as big as most 11 year olds, has been riding a 2009 KLX110 all this past year and it has been an outstanding machine. He spent two years on a CRF50 before that. The KLX is gentle and confidence inspiring but can be ridden hard and fast. I have put stiffer springs in it front and rear to handle jumps better, and a set of Protaper SE bars have opened up the ergos a bit more. He was happy with it stock too, but the huge aftermarket for the KLX is a blessing for those with specific needs. Now he wants an RM85 but I am going to make him put in one more year of hard riding on the KLX before I'll let him move up.