Sign in to follow this  

Scored a good deal - 2001 YZ250

I picked up this bike off Craigslist locally for $800. The guy threw in $150 in free gear to boot. It's completely stock as far as I can tell. It needs a few items like new bars/grips, a rear tire, front sprocket and case saver and a new clutch cable. Other than these items, it runs and rides great! Starts up first kick everytime and compression is good at 200+ psi. The stock pipe is beat up pretty good so I'll try to locate another one for cheap.

So far I like the power delivery. It's a little more smooth than my 99 KX250 even with the 11oz FWW that I have on it. I plan on selling one of them next spring, just not sure which will stay and which will go. I plan on dressing this YZ up for woods riding.

yz1.jpg

yz3.jpg

yz4.jpg

Great buy,

Keep the YZ and get rid of the green machine:thumbsup:

Great buy,

Keep the YZ and get rid of the green machine:thumbsup:

That's going to be hard to do. My KX is pretty tricked out with the bolt on stuff and is set up just how I like. My only issue with the KX is the tall first gear that was put in those bikes :busted:

99kx250.jpg

As for the YZ:

Using leftover parts from other bikes in the past so far I've got a new front fender, works frame guards, Protaper clamps with TAG T2 bars, a used FMF Fatty to replace the beat up stocker and threw on a Dunlop takeoff on the rear. I still want some barkbusters and a skid plate which I hope to get in the next couple of weeks.

That KX is nice. Too bad you can't just throw those black beauties on the YZ. The YZ's motor is very handy in the woods though. I'd rip those graphics off and go OEM IMO.

Didja try re-gearing the KX at all? Maybe 13/52 or something?

That KX is nice. Too bad you can't just throw those black beauties on the YZ. The YZ's motor is very handy in the woods though. I'd rip those graphics off and go OEM IMO.

Didja try re-gearing the KX at all? Maybe 13/52 or something?

Thanks for the compliments, that KX is my baby so it's going to be hard to get rid of it. Not shown in the pic is low profile black shields for the Cycras and a UFO green vented number plate. I tried regearing it to 12/50 and the spacing between 1/2/3 was so tight that all I was doing was shifting gears. The problem lies in the fact that Kawi saw fit to put an extremely tall first gear in that series of KX250. The only real fix is to split the case and use a first gear out of a 94-98 KX250. I don;t see that happening anytime soon unless she decides to fry a crank bearing (let's hope not!)

I also have some more goodies coming for the YZ like some Cycra probends, front wheel bearings and a FLU designs graphics kit. I'm keeping my eye out for a FWW to help tame the hit. I'm also looking at skidplates but not sure if I want the FWW first.

I can tell you one thing, the YZ is MUCH more stout on the bottom end than my KX, but the KX will pull away up top but not by much. I think with a FWW the YZ may end up being the keeper. It definitely seems more nimble, however the KX seems to have the edge on high speed stability.

Does anyone besides me feel that the 96-01 YZs need a taller seat? That may be on the list of future goodies as well.

I'll update the post when I get the new graphics and barkbusters on.

I wish I had your bike for 800 and you were still looking...NICE MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!

Cannot wait to see what you do with it.