Sign in to follow this  

Sunoco Fuels

Does anyone know if Sunoco make a race fuel like VP U 4.2? My local gas station sell Sunoco for race cars but is not sure about the motorcycle fuels.

They make one that is similar...but not quite the same. I think it's an mxr2 or something.

Not sure if this helps but passing it on as info that may come in handy but it is a economical way to get "race fuel" cheaply.

I would bet the main difference is a marketing one.

The fuel allows you to run higher compression or a lot more timing where normally the engine would detonate. So fuel allows more aggressive motor modification than unleaded fuel alone will add. By itself in a stock bike the dyno will show minor effects on a stock bike if any at all.

Of course many know this, I mention this since if the motor runs with 100 octane with no detonation adding 120 octane will therefore not likely make more unless you again add more timing or more compression.

With that, Sunoco makes a 104 which is really an unleaded fuel with Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl added. it was banned by the EPA in the Us in the 70's but is used in canada and South Africa to create high octrane fuels. In the US it is availabe in unleaded fuels by the bucket branded as 104 octace fuels most notabler Sunoco for off road or closed course competition use only.

It is expensive but you can actually make that with Torco additive added to unleaded fuel and it works out to about $1 per gallon more over the cost of unleaded fuel since Torco is effectively the same MMT additive that is used in the 104 octane pales.

I used to run turbo 2.0L turbo cars with 2.5 bar of boost with that where it would detonate with 1.6 bar without it. The difference in HP was about 100 hp at the wheels with nothing more than Torco in 91 octane pump fuel.

I actually run that in my RM144 with an Eric Gorr race motor and race gas head with no issues. It WILL detonate horribly when I forget it.

Many guys run it in bikes and just do not talk about it.

Good luck either way!

Does anyone know if Sunoco make a race fuel like VP U 4.2? My local gas station sell Sunoco for race cars but is not sure about the motorcycle fuels.

M02X is similar like mentioned above. It is a 112 octane leaded fuel with oxygen. When I rode for sunoco I ran it quite a bit with great results, but in my opinion it doesn't compare with U4.2