Sign in to follow this  

605 ATK over charging

I just got back from a 4 day ride around Jordan Valley, Ore. I was only able to ride 2 1/2 days of the ride do to my bike over charging the battery. I put a new battery in and checked the charging voltage and it was 19 volts. I replaced the voltage regulator with a spare from the extra parts bin I got with the bike. When installed it's charging voltage was 14.2 volts. The bike runs fine after kick starting it but I have no lights or E-start and my GPS is toast. The E-start started working again after the new battery and voltage regulator. The main 20 amp fuse hasn't popped but something is smoking my electrics. I'll go thru the wiring looking for bad spots and the chassis grounds but that's just general trouble shooting anyone have specific ideas on what to look at of for before I throw another battery and voltage regulator at my problem?

Dont have a lot of advice for you. That sucks losing your GPS and the batteries arent cheap. Luckily, the electric system for these bikes is very simplistic. Did you check your volts coming from the stator?

What relay did you replace the atk/aprilia part with?

Dont have a lot of advice for you. That sucks losing your GPS and the batteries arent cheap. Luckily, the electric system for these bikes is very simplistic. Did you check your volts coming from the stator?

What relay did you replace the atk/aprilia part with?

It's not a relay problem, it's a regulator problem. at 3000(or so) RPM's my battery is getting 19-20 volts. That's what cooked my GPS, battery, and lights. The one I switched out was a used one from my parts bin. It's not uncommon for a bad regulator to only be bad when hot. When I get the new one from American Dirt Bike I'll look to relocating it somewhere other than under the gas tank to get better cooling air flow.

do you have a seperate rectifier - or is it built in to the regulator?

do you have a seperate rectifier - or is it built in to the regulator?

It's a regulator/rectifier. That's what the wiring diagram calls it.