front sprocket

Thinking of dropping one tooth on the front sprocket.

I do mostly trail riding. Dont need the top speed.

I find the bike doesnt like too go slow through tight stuff.

Was hopeing by dropping one tooth on the front it might help with the slower technical stuff. bring the revs up a little bit more.

Also would I have too take a link out of the chain after dropping one tooth.

thanks for any help or input.

Mike

Thinking of dropping one tooth on the front sprocket.

I do mostly trail riding. Dont need the top speed.

I find the bike doesnt like too go slow through tight stuff.

Was hopeing by dropping one tooth on the front it might help with the slower technical stuff. bring the revs up a little bit more.

Also would I have too take a link out of the chain after dropping one tooth.

thanks for any help or input.

Mike

That'll do ya...

And no, you shouldn't need to remove a link.

It's when you make drastic changes at the rear that you must add/remove if your not also changing the counter.

I'm running a 12T. You don't need to remove a link.

If you ever decide to switch to a trials rear tire. Gearing down is a must just to put it close to stock gearing.

With a MX rear tire the 12T helps in the tight stuff but the wide ratio tranny is diminished. You'll have to get used to shifting more....

12T???? I can't imagine needing/wanting anything lower than a 13.

Also remember the lower you go on the front, the more you need to watch the chain slide on the swingarm. It will wear a lot quicker with a lower front gear.

12T???? I can't imagine needing/wanting anything lower than a 13.

Also remember the lower you go on the front, the more you need to watch the chain slide on the swingarm. It will wear a lot quicker with a lower front gear.

I'm with ya. 1 in the front is equal to 3 in the back. So basically you'll be running a 13-54.

This bike is light but I'd want a 250 or a 2 stroke if I wanted to snail crawl. We ride lots of technical stuff though and in the really rocky areas I can see how it would be nice to crawl out of those areas.

I'm with ya. 1 in the front is equal to 3 in the back. So basically you'll be running a 13-54.

This bike is light but I'd want a 250 or a 2 stroke if I wanted to snail crawl. We ride lots of technical stuff though and in the really rocky areas I can see how it would be nice to crawl out of those areas.

I’d be happier with a 12/53. I wouldn’t argue the idea that I bought the wrong bike for the terrain I typically ride either.

KTM200XC-W.jpg

The 'X' does great on all terrain, but there are better 1-track bikes out there.

That KTM 200 is one sweet machine and exactly what I was thinking. Some of the locals ride that, the 300.

I put a 12 on the front too. After I wear the chain out I will add to the rear and go back to 13 on front. The 12 does seem to wear out quick. I realy only wanted to add 2 to rear but dropping the front was cheaper.

Ahhhh,, my eyes....

Is it halloween already? All I see is orange pumpkins