Sign in to follow this  

what would you change?

if you could change one, and only one, thing about the klx450 what would it be?

for me it would definatly be a 6th gear. the bike begs for it. i'm running a 46 tooth rear sprocket and the bike still has plenty of power in 5th gear.

For the overheating problem to be corrected by Kawasaki.

Fuel injection would fix this problem too :busted:

I don't blame Kawi for this problem... I blame CARB.

Have you rejetted?

Stock jetting, even at 4500ft+ I was overheating the gnarly single track stuff...

Rejetted, AIS removed, Exhaust Insert changed...

No more problems.

When the jetting is sorted there is no carb or overheating so thats really not a issue. It would be nice if the header pipe did'nt stick out waiting to get hit. Have a look at the 450 Husaberg it would be imposible to damage.

My bike has been rejetted, AIS removed, KXF exhaust installed, and full of Engine Ice for almost 2 years now and I still overheat and spit coolant every once in a while. Usually when I'm in the tight, twisty, slow, rocky stuff. But nonetheless, it isn't too great.

A rear spring that is NOT made for a 135lbs. rider from the factory.

easy now.. i don't have any complaints about that, i just need it to come with a stepped seat. lol

If you want one change why not pick something you can't easily fix yourself...

How about a lighter bike. maybe lose 20 pounds. Otherwise I am really starting to enjoy my bike now that my skills have improved.

Really only one.. My list is kind of long...

I've smashed 5 header pipes in a year.. So definitly one that is tucked in more.

I cut 3 water pump hoses (with a smashed header pipes) and ripped off one water pump cover. A little better tucked in would be nice or a bend in the top casting towards the motor.

Get to the shock is a PITA and my bike is setup to remove it as quick as possible (about 20 minutes). Actually setting the preload is even more of a PITA than removing it..

EFI would be nice with a 2.5 gallon tank.. No more carb crap and nice long fuel range...

I could go on if I needed too..

Really only one.. My list is kind of long...

I've smashed 5 header pipes in a year.. So definitly one that is tucked in more.

I cut 3 water pump hoses (with a smashed header pipes) and ripped off one water pump cover. A little better tucked in would be nice or a bend in the top casting towards the motor.

Get to the shock is a PITA and my bike is setup to remove it as quick as possible (about 20 minutes). Actually setting the preload is even more of a PITA than removing it..

EFI would be nice with a 2.5 gallon tank.. No more carb crap and nice long fuel range...

I could go on if I needed too..

Are you sure that your problem is with the bike? I'm thinking that you may have some inner ear problems ...... ballance issues ...... keep in mind that the main objective is to keep it ballanced on two wheels. :busted:

I've went through everything, FMF Q4 Slip-on, JD jetting, Engine Ice, Fuel Screw, and still my bike overheats riding up here in the Alberta Rockies last Saturday, I can't imagine what people are dealing with down south in the real heat....

Definately my answer is to address the overheating problem..., then throw in fuel injection for good measure!

Are you sure that your problem is with the bike? I'm thinking that you may have some inner ear problems ...... ballance issues ...... keep in mind that the main objective is to keep it ballanced on two wheels. :thumbsup:

:busted:

LOL, I will say I broke fewer things on my orange bike... The KLX and I get along well on most days and it did give me my best finish to date with a 13th overall...

What is the saying, if you aren't crashing you aren't pushing hard enough! LOL

I've went through everything, FMF Q4 Slip-on, JD jetting, Engine Ice, Fuel Screw, and still my bike overheats riding up here in the Alberta Rockies last Saturday, I can't imagine what people are dealing with down south in the real heat....

Definately my answer is to address the overheating problem..., then throw in fuel injection for good measure!

Whereabouts are you riding? What jetting combo did you go with and are you spending all of you time lugging in first gear? Do you have a hard time starting the bike cold? I personally believe AIS removal is a large contributor to heat issues as well.

Does it overheat while you still have the engine running? because if your steaming while running that is bad. shouldnt really do that underpressure and if thats the case i think u need to ride a bit quicker.

Does it overheat while you still have the engine running? because if your steaming while running that is bad. shouldnt really do that underpressure and if thats the case i think u need to ride a bit quicker.

Once I thought my coolant was overheated, then I realized my fuel was boiling...nice.