Sign in to follow this  

Starting kids in racing???

I have a 7 year old who wants to race very bad. He doesn't really want to race on a track, he likes riding in the woods. He has a ttr90 and can pick it up and start it by himself. I think he is ready to start but I don't know if I am ready. :banana:

I think he would enjoy the harescramble type races through the woods but how do you teach them to follow the signs and not get lost and every other little thing that goes into racing? I have a fear that he will be 10 miles away from everyone and lost in the woods somewhere because he missed an arrow. Maybe I am thinking to much or not giving him enough credit, but...

I just started riding myself and have only watched a few races so maybe I don't understand what all is involved.

thanks

:busted::thumbsup::banana:

CHECK OUT THE gncc SITE AND RACES. i THINK THE KIDS LAYOUTS ARE MUCH SHORTER AND SIMPLER THAN THE ADULTS.

I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. They will be in a group playing follow the leader. I am pretty sure the course is taped so they don't stray off of it.

I think its great you are looking into him racing. Great dad !

The XC races my son has participated in were short and taped so they couldn't go the wrong way. And they also let the parent ride behind their kid if they wanted to.

The XC races my son has participated in were short and taped so they couldn't go the wrong way. And they also let the parent ride behind their kid if they wanted to.

that is great to hear. Only my kid would probably be faster and fall less than I do. The other kids on the track would be helping me up out of the ditch. :busted:

I will have to take him to the next race and see the layout of the kids track. The other races we went to we missed the kids races and only saw the adult quads and bikes.

My son is 5 and my daughter is 7 and they have each done I think seven races including haresrambles and enduros. I was terrified at first but after the first one it settled to just a little nervousness and now its just what we do. The courses are arrowed pretty clearly and they have sweepers that ride the course to help the kids who need it. I feel this is a great way to get started. My kids love it and I love watching them. I say go do it. Just put him in the right gear. The bike doesn't have to be anything special,just in good working order. Go have fun!

My son is 5 and my daughter is 7 and they have each done I think seven races including haresrambles and enduros. I was terrified at first but after the first one it settled to just a little nervousness and now its just what we do. The courses are arrowed pretty clearly and they have sweepers that ride the course to help the kids who need it. I feel this is a great way to get started. My kids love it and I love watching them. I say go do it. Just put him in the right gear. The bike doesn't have to be anything special,just in good working order. Go have fun!

cool, that was my next question. What bike should he be on.

He is pretty comfortable on his ttr90 but the last races we went to all seemed to be 2 strokes. I don't want to have him learning the race, a new bike, and a clutch all at once but I would like him to be competitive, kinda. I know he won't finish 1st but I don't want him to get mad because he can't keep up because of the bike he is on and not want to race anymore.

And yes, he has every piece of gear except for a neck brace.

Check with your AMA district for class rules on bikes for the hare scrambles and enduros . In district 23 micro is for 4-8 yrs on 50cc oil injected 2t or 50cc 4t. macro is for 50cc 2t and up to 80cc 4t. He might be forced to ride with 65's and that would be intimidating for his first time.

My son and i race setra a regional ama series in the south east. the kids tracks are around 2.5 miles and taped very well there is know way hell get lost. They also almost have as many adults sweeping the tracks as they do kids racing. Very safe when you compare it to mx. Dont buy a new bike let him get used to it after one race youll be a semi pro better money spent will be on bark busters. Its the most fun you can have together.

My son, who is now 9, started riding practice sessions with a TTR50 at a local MX Pee Wee track. He moved up to and raced a KTM 50 last year and just this fall got a KX 65.

We have been taking him to a local track that has practice session where he can ride the Pee Wee track. It gives him a couple of hours of track time without the pressure of racing and there are are other riders he can try and pass and ride with. I think the practice sessions really made the transistion to an actual race much easier as he was used to the track and riding with others.

He has also raced on big track (they didn't have a Pee Wee track) and didn't like it. The ruts were to deep and the dirt was to soft and sandy. He tried a couple of times but just couldn't get comfortable so we stopped going to that track.

We checked out the hare scrables but he seems a little hesitant because he can't practice and the track is less predicable. He seems more interested in this style of racing so we have been doing a lot of trail riding to bring up his skills and comfort.

The most important thing is that it's about having fun and spending time with them. Help them choose the best option and support them as best you can. :smirk: