Sign in to follow this  

Which way would you go??

So...it's time for a new top end on my 06 YZ250. I'm debating going with a new OEM top end, gnarly pipe, and an RB Designs head mod. OR, I could scrap that and for about the same money I could do the Eric Gorr 300 kit.

I'm looking for that very torquey woods bike that you can ride all day fast without getting too fatigued. No MX on this bike.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks.

OEM. anything else would be uncivilized.

make the gearing a little taller (one tooth on the countershaft) and slap on a fatty and its more like an open bike. it may take a bit to get the jetting right but once you do its amazing!

dont be affraid to lug it. a yz 250 LOVES it!

Thanks, but I'm not really looking for an open bike. I want a woods bike with a torquey powerband and really wondering if the mods I suggest would be better/worse than an Eric Gorr 300 kit. They end up being pretty close price wise (within 2 bills anyway).

it wouldn't be an open bike, but it would have the torque-y characteristics., lots of power but you dont have to be on the very top of the power band all the time.

Rekluse pro. 14/52 gearing. I love my woods YZ. Love it Love it Love it. :thumbsup:

No motor mods here. Stock pipe. Turbine Core. Lean jetting. 24:1. That's about it. Also, I'm fat - 250 lbs. and I've got torque-on-command. :busted:

I'm reluctant to do the Rekluse, although it is something I am defintely open to. I'm worried that the extra FW effect of that combined with my e-line stator would be too much. It's a significant investment for something you have never tried and may not like. If I only had an unlimited supply of money...

Did you notice the flywheel effect?

I think the recommended size for the YZ250 is about 210 lbs. :banana: So I think you are just about right.

I'm reluctant to do the Rekluse, although it is something I am defintely open to. I'm worried that the extra FW effect of that combined with my e-line stator would be too much. It's a significant investment for something you have never tried and may not like. If I only had an unlimited supply of money...

Did you notice the flywheel effect?

I think the recommended size for the YZ250 is about 210 lbs. :banana: So I think you are just about right.

Souping up your motor to deliver more torque is useless when you don't have traction - but I digress. :busted:

No addt'l flywheel effect or reduced "snap" if you will. It emphasizes torque. Don't know how or why but I like the result.

Not to sound :thumbsup: over your suggested mods list. Just thought I'd add my favorite must have mod to your list. :banana:

You'll hafta ride one to believe it. Down a gravel road will not give you the feel I'm talking about. They're great. :banana:

get a hold of steve parris at parrisracing inovations, they will super charge your crank which will in turn give you exactly what your lookign for. It has the tourque of a 450 and will triple your top end time. Any ways, if you call them directly he usually answers and will tell you exactly what it will and can do, no fly wheels, longer engine life and the equivalent of a 5oo low end tourque or 450. Im gettingmine done right now on my 07 yz 250 and I will do a write up as soon as I get it all up and running.

So...it's time for a new top end on my 06 YZ250. I'm debating going with a new OEM top end, gnarly pipe, and an RB Designs head mod. OR, I could scrap that and for about the same money I could do the Eric Gorr 300 kit.

I'm looking for that very torquey woods bike that you can ride all day fast without getting too fatigued. No MX on this bike.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks.

I'm in much the same boat as you. I just pulled my top 06 YZ250 top end and found pitting in the plating caused by detonation. No pitting on the piston or the head, which seems odd. I'm debating a replate or go whole hog with the 300 kit from Eric Gorr. I'm leaning for keeping it a 250 because I have 2 new pistons on my shelf and it would be a shame to not use them first. I'd like to hear more feedback on the 300 kit before I take the plunge. If I did not have 2 new pistons, I'd probably go 300.

The rb head mod is a really good one for what your doing. Its not like it smooths low end power. But it does make the power start earlier and is very effective in slow going.

When I need a replate, mines going to 300.

Really, the best bet is to contact both of them . I have yet to run across any of the builders who wont do all they can to build what you want.

OEM. anything else would be uncivilized.

make the gearing a little taller (one tooth on the countershaft) and slap on a fatty and its more like an open bike. it may take a bit to get the jetting right but once you do its amazing!

dont be affraid to lug it. a yz 250 LOVES it!

This is one of the best and cheapest mod that i personally could vouch for.... and it applies especially if you're a light rider (me 155 lbs) :busted:

Even the stock gearing 14/50 in tight trails, i find the power handful especially in wet slippery trails.

i've ridden an '03 YZ250 from a riding buddy (about the same weight as me) who he just did is put in a 15T front sprocket, and i find it fantastic in hill climbs, very manageable and YES still luggable! :thumbsup: