Sign in to follow this  

Knocking in Neutral

2009 DR650 / Valves adjusted / Oil & filter changed every 600 miles / I ride this bike very hard ringing it up & down the gears at high rpm's.

I'm hearing a slight knocking when in neutral only - anything to worry about?

I'd take it in for warranty but can't prove I've done my own maintanence, and didn't really care to keep records as the warranty is only a year & am keeping the bike for life.

Check out this thread on my bike. In a nutshell, the rivets that hold the clutch cush drive gear to the basket came loose and tore up the inside of the motor. I don't recall hearing any strange noises in neutral but it would stand to reason that there might have been noise and I just didn't notice it. Just a thought.

Also, you don't really gain anything running high rpms on the DR, just wasted revs. Use the fantastic low-mid range torque of the motor to your advantage.

It could also be clutch noise. Some bikes do make a very light knock knock knock sound at idle in neutral.

If you pull the clutch in does the sound change?

It could also be clutch noise. Some bikes do make a very light knock knock knock sound at idle in neutral.

If you pull the clutch in does the sound change?

come to think of it...ya, i think the noise goes away when I pull in the clutch, what does that mean? :busted:

come to think of it...ya, i think the noise goes away when I pull in the clutch, what does that mean? :busted:

So far as I've been told, that's normal clutch chatter sound. My SV made a very faint sound like that at idle, and it went away when the clutch was pulled in. My DR has a very similar sound, which I was told is normal.

Unless it sounds very harsh/metallic/grinding I wouldn't worry about it.