Sign in to follow this  

2008 Yukon Xl

Just got this with the 5.3 V8 and trailer package...nice truck...

Question is how heavy of a trailer do you think I can tow with it? I know what the manual says however I still want to have decent power with it.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Id say you should be able to comfortably tow 7000 pounds with it. We personally towed around 11,000-12,000 pounds with a 2007 1500 Chevy with the 5.3. But I beleive the suspension on the SUV is a little different. Thats the only reason why id say you could tow less.

SUV suspension cannot handle the same loads as a pickup truck. If you look at a pickup you will notice they have a rake in the back so that when it is loaded it will sit level. The SUVs do not have this. They will squat down which takes weight off the front end. There are a few things you can do it you plan on towing really heavy loads. Getting air bags is a must, also a load bearing hitch will help alot as it distributes the load to the frame. The XL will help with towing heavier loads because it has a longer wheelbase than the regular Yukon. My dad has an 06 with the 5.3 and it tows are ski boat (3500lbs) like it is nothing. I think 7k lbs is a safe number.

Do not exceed the manufactures capacity. To be honest, I wouldn't tow past 80% of max. If it is a one time thing then I would be okay maxing out the capacity but if I knew I was going to be constantly maxing the towing capacity I would upgrade to a bigger truck.

I have a ford ranger and it can tow 5k according to the manual. My truck could do it but it wouldn't be safe. 3500 lbs will pull my truck around a fair amount. 5000 would be nuts!

Just got this with the 5.3 V8 and trailer package...nice truck...

Question is how heavy of a trailer do you think I can tow with it? I know what the manual says however I still want to have decent power with it.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Good rule of thumb for comfortable towing that doesn't overly stress the vehicle is 80% of the max rating.

Remember, the "max towing capacity" is with just a driver, no cargo, and half a tank of fuel. No wife and kids, no cooler, no dog, etc etc.

Good rule of thumb for comfortable towing that doesn't overly stress the vehicle is 80% of the max rating.

Remember, the "max towing capacity" is with just a driver, no cargo, and half a tank of fuel. No wife and kids, no cooler, no dog, etc etc.

As long as I can take the dog...:busted: