Best Knee Brace for Torn ACL

Blew my ACL playing basketball and need surgery. I plan on riding with knee braces moving forward. I am 43 and dont want to deal with too many more knee injuries.

What is the best knee brace; or more importantly provides the most protection???

At this point I am not concerned with cost! If it will get the job done I will pay!!! :busted:

Thanks,

Blew my ACL playing basketball and need surgery. I plan on riding with knee braces moving forward. I am 43 and dont want to deal with too many more knee injuries.

What is the best knee brace; or more importantly provides the most protection???

At this point I am not concerned with cost! If it will get the job done I will pay!!! :busted:

Thanks,

My experience with knee braces and no ACL is that you can prevent hyperextension and that's about it. I had a high zoot CTI and then a DonJoy and was able to pop my knee out with each one so I don't think highly of braces when knee parts are broken. I found that working on my quads and hams did more to stabilize my knee than anything else. If you wind up using a brace, make sure it has a patella cup 'cause sure as s$#t you'll go down and grind some gravel into your kneecap and then have new knee issues. (I did this with my DonJoy) YMMV.

quadracepts :busted:

Actually, a reconstructed coompetend ACL works even better.

what is a good one to us Knee Braces

Knee braces can be dangerous in a crash...the pressure is moved from the joint to the bones above and below. I would much rather tear my ACL than break my femur. Get the ACL fixed properly and you wont need the brace...

Astrisk is the best in my opinion, make sure it is as tight as you can stand it.You still have to be careful with the twisting motion...

I tore my acl 12 years ago, but it was only a partial tear and the doc said not to do the surgery. Instead, he rpescribed the DonJoy custom fit acl brace and it seemed to do a great job of preventing hyperextension, felt solid, and prevented some twisting.. about 6 years ago, I tore up the meniscus really bad in 2 places (IMO due to my knee not having a nice tight acl), when the doc went in, he said the ACL is still hanging on, but the joint is loose.... said exercise (hams especially) and continue wearing brace..... here is the issue, I think the donjoy is the best brace and they support it (I broke mine throwing it out of the truck and they fixed it for free), the issue with the donjoy is that it that it was impossible for me to get it to fit right while using the patella cup due to restriction in getting the hinge to allign in the proper place for proper bracing. So, I use it with the shin/knee guard that you normally use for riding -> this makes it pretty bulky and get uncomfortable by the end of the day.

I also went out and bought some Asterisk(sp) knee braces because they seemed like they would be more comfortable and they were, but they did not make my knee feel nearly as secure as they don't seem to have a real positive stop at hyperextension. I think they Asterisk are good as a preventer, but not good if you already have an injury.

My opinion is that if you have a Dr that is willing to fix it, get it fixed. I have a few buddies that have had their acl fixed (cadavor tendon) and they were back on the bike quickly and they have none of the nagging pain issues that I have from the loose joint. They say their reconstructed knee feels better than their non reconstructed knee..If you need to get a brace and already have the injury, take a serious look at the DonJoy. I am sure that I could get the patella cup to work properly if I modify it a bit (the cup straps, not the brace).

-Jon

If the doctor isnt willing to fix it, find one that will. Isnt that what surgeons do? Operate? A chance to cut is a chance to cure...and get PAID.