07 sputtered and died on me

Hi all,

I am looking for some pointers to trouble shoot my 07 450R.

This my fourth one and bougth this one brand new July 3rd 09

Have about 35 hours on it.

I change both oil every second ride together with air filter

Yesterday , it bogged , hesitated and finally died.It started back and rode for a 100 yard then died again (No power, no rev). It started back briefly in the pits.This morning it started,then died when I increased throttle

So far , I checked the valves (0.0063/0.0071 intake/0.0105/0.0124 exh) and cleaned the main jet and pilot jet.

Checked for spark , was not ''true blue'' , more like orange in color

My suspicion:

Either totally dis-assemble the carb for thorough cleaning

Electrical- which I am not very good at

Any suggestions are welcome

thanks in advance guys

Nicolas

valve specs are :

.11-.15mm I

.25-.31mm E

you are close there. might need a shim.

Clean the carb, go from there. also drain and flush the tank. might have water and/or dirt in it.

Hi all,

I am looking for some pointers to trouble shoot my 07 450R.

This my fourth one and bougth this one brand new July 3rd 09

Have about 35 hours on it.

I change both oil every second ride together with air filter

Yesterday , it bogged , hesitated and finally died.It started back and rode for a 100 yard then died again (No power, no rev). It started back briefly in the pits.This morning it started,then died when I increased throttle

So far , I checked the valves (0.0063/0.0071 intake/0.0105/0.0124 exh) and cleaned the main jet and pilot jet.

Checked for spark , was not ''true blue'' , more like orange in color

My suspicion:

Either totally dis-assemble the carb for thorough cleaning

Electrical- which I am not very good at

Any suggestions are welcome

thanks in advance guys

Nicolas

have you put a new spark plug

many thanks for the comments,

JJRace, I will thorougly clean the carb internals and flush my gas tank tomorow nigth when I am back home from Chicago ( business trip).

Delmas, I tried a spare spark plug I had new , but cooler ( a No. 8) to no avail

I purchased a new original that I will try together with the carb cleaning exercise-- I would be the first one to be happy about such a simple cure-- Never had issues in the past with plugs, especially when running the damn thing !

Will keep you posted thursday nigth when I am done

Thanks and regards, Nicolas

thank you guys

cleaned the carb and jets thoroughly , flushed all gas, new plug

fired back-up at 4th kick, picking revs in a healthy way

In hindsigth , it was not the pilot jet but the the pilot circuit that was clogged

Sorry guys , did half a lap today after warm-up before it quit again in the same fashion.Before quiting , 100% of the power was available.Starting was easy

..........then died , started again , then died for good.........

...........cleaned pilot jet in the pits, started briefly , then died for good !

Any pointers for electrical issues ?

I will reclean the carb tonigth

looking for all possible hints , even the widelst ones

Anybody had coil issues before ?

thanks in advance , Nicolas

time to do a leak down test first.

that will tell you how well the top end and rings is.

I am guessing your big end on the crank is seizing up. thus the problems. Remove the left side stator case and look for debris on the stator pickup wires. I am guessing you will find a lot of shavings from the crank going out.

Thanks JJrace,

Now my schedule is wide open for trouble shooting since I can't ride no more.....

Will open the left side cover tomorow for metal shaving around pick-up wire on the stator.

Just puzzled with you comment on the top end ---This bike has 35 hrs total since birth and only track ridden. Snce I will not appear on any AMA records book any time soon, and power was abt 100% before dying (less clutch slippage which will be replaced upon receipt of parts) I would be amazed on how I could have gotten through top end so soon ?

However, I will check it after I am done with stator exercise

Thanks for the pointer, Nicolas

Thanks JJrace,

Now my schedule is wide open for trouble shooting since I can't ride no more.....

Will open the left side cover tomorow for metal shaving around pick-up wire on the stator.

Just puzzled with you comment on the top end ---This bike has 35 hrs total since birth and only track ridden. Snce I will not appear on any AMA records book any time soon, and power was abt 100% before dying (less clutch slippage which will be replaced upon receipt of parts) I would be amazed on how I could have gotten through top end so soon ?

However, I will check it after I am done with stator exercise

Thanks for the pointer, Nicolas

What he's saying is its the bottom end, not the top. When the crank decides to eat itself, it produces steel debri and the material sticks to the stator and shorts the ignition out and typically does exactly what you're describing.

Id start with the stator, and not worry about the top end at this point. Even if the motor was blowing blue smoke, it would still run and rev up.

my point about the top end is to know what all you need to fix/replace while it is down. If you need new rings or the valves are leaking you will need to replace them. Might was well do it if you are doing the bottom end also. Find out the extent of the damage and wear items that need replaced.

I recleaned the carb totally with kleen flo and it started on the third kick briefly.Before dying again for good, it ran rich with soot coming out. Can it be that misfiring causes the combustion not to be complete and run in a rich condition ?

I then opened the left cover and found no amount of debris on the stator.

The rotor has some moly grease like material on the inside ring but no metallic particules that I could see ( my fingers were just stained) -- Could it be the main brg going out tell tale sign ?

I cleaned everything dry with brake cleaner and reassembled.Since I did not escape from home today for a good roostin session , I had some honey do list to complete in preparation for winter.

Tomorow , will try to start together with iterations with kill switch disconnected and coil ground cleaned out

Will keep you posted--If you guys were any closer to my place , I would gladly pay you to fix it so I can complete my season

i am having the same problem with my bike so ur info is really helpful plz keep me posted.thnx

Finally got her back from a local mechanic yesterday

Faulty stator was the final answer.Just had to put a new one in.

I rode all day today no problems, feels like new, as easy to start than brand new

thanks all for the help

change your oil more often. it will keep from leaving sludge in the motor like you have found.