Sign in to follow this  

250 kickstand rusted off

The kickstand fell off my bike yesterday as my room mate was moving it. Completely rusted where it attaches to the frame and it just popped off when he went to kick it up. I cleaned the rust up as best I could, had a friend who knows what he's doing weld it back on, and sprayed some primer aver the fresh welds, but I still have some concerns about riding it. I just trail ride, and commute some, and I never jump it. Will it be "good as new" by just fixing it like I did? I mean, there was a gaping hole in the frame where it fell off. Maybe like 2.5" X 1.25". The perimeter where the hole and kickstand lined up is all welded back now so I'm hoping it'll be fine...but at the same time, it's the frame.

I just trail ride, and commute some, and I never jump it.

Based on this information, I'd say it'll be fine. If your friend is a competent welder it might even be good as new... depending on how he went about it. Should certainly be better than it was the last time you rode it!

PS. I like fishing for "bronze-backs" too.

I had a good amount of rust around my kick stand on my xr400r. I had someone grind out the rust and weld a piece of metal over it probably like yours. I would just check the rest of the frame especially around the bottom of the frame. Poke around and make sure it doesn't have a bunch of rust somewhere else. After that I sanded down the rest of the surface rust and treated it and painted it.

Based on this information, I'd say it'll be fine. If your friend is a competent welder it might even be good as new... depending on how he went about it. Should certainly be better than it was the last time you rode it!

PS. I like fishing for "bronze-backs" too.

I'm hoping he's a good welder. A couple of my friends that learned to weld in school and do a little for their jobs referred me to him, and from what little I know he did it right. At least the welds look clean and he didn't burn through at all.

And heck yeah, Smallies are the best!! Been thinking about taking a trip to Virginia for some of the streams there.

I had a good amount of rust around my kick stand on my xr400r. I had someone grind out the rust and weld a piece of metal over it probably like yours. I would just check the rest of the frame especially around the bottom of the frame. Poke around and make sure it doesn't have a bunch of rust somewhere else. After that I sanded down the rest of the surface rust and treated it and painted it.

That's a good idea. Looks like I'll clean it up a little this week and start checking for any other rust spots. Might even paint it over the winter.

I treated the rest of the rust with Jasco prep & prime, the stuff works wonders. It turns all the rust into black iron and its a good primer too. Luckily I had it welded because it was eating away at the metal for the foot peg! :busted: The guy who owned it before me didn't have a skid plate so all the rocks had chipped the paint and it was fairly rusty on the bottom of the frame. If you don't have a skid plate I highly recommend one.