Sign in to follow this  

'95-97 250cc? DR250, TTR250, XR250R, KDX200, KLR250

Hi,

I am a dirt noob and would like a dirt bike to ride fire roads, gravel roads etc.

I own a 1150GS which I take offroad but damage if dropped is expensive and I am concentrating more in keeping it from falling than learning the proper way to ride. I mostly ride bad maintened fire mountain gravel roads with harsh stones of varying sizes.

So I am looking at a sub 800EUR bike to start with for recreational use on weekends.

I am looking for the best reliability, ease of repairs/maintenance, and not a lot of stuff breaking when I drop the bike. Speeds will be varying from very slow to slow.

I would like your input since I have not ridden a thumper before.

The things I am considering most are reliability reliability and reliability.

All bikes will be used stock and I am not looking at any aftermarket mods since I just want to get a bike and ride it.

I do not care if it has an electric starter or not as long as it wont need 10min cranking to start after a spill

Canditates are

Dr250

XR250r

KDX200

TTR250

KLR250

Please let me know your opinions. TIA

Dr250

i have an 1995 xr250 and its great for just riding around taking your time and its reliable too, i almost never have to work on it.I can't say much for the other bikes but the my friend has a ttr230 which i imagine it like the ttr250 and he likes it. From what i hear all the bikes you have there are great for what you want to do.

While there will be small differences between the suspension, there all basically the same. I'm surprised you're not considering the KLX 300R? Thats got a better fork than the bikes in your list.

All of the 4 strokes on your list are pigs. I used to have the TT-R and have ridden the XR extensively and they're pretty heavy although the XR was a little bit lighter. I haven't ridden the DR (or did you mean DR-Z?) but my aunt had a '92 DR 250 back in the day and even though it was kickstart only she said the TT-R felt slimmer and slightly lighter :busted: I don't see how thats possible but whatever :thumbsup:

The KDX 200 is the lightest bike with the most power and most potential. That'd be my pick of the bunch.

While there will be small differences between the suspension, there all basically the same. I'm surprised you're not considering the KLX 300R? Thats got a better fork than the bikes in your list.

All of the 4 strokes on your list are pigs. I used to have the TT-R and have ridden the XR extensively and they're pretty heavy although the XR was a little bit lighter. I haven't ridden the DR (or did you mean DR-Z?) but my aunt had a '92 DR 250 back in the day and even though it was kickstart only she said the TT-R felt slimmer and slightly lighter :busted: I don't see how thats possible but whatever :thumbsup:

The KDX 200 is the lightest bike with the most power and most potential. That'd be my pick of the bunch.

Well in order to consider it it has to be available and at the price point I am looking for...Unfortunatelly no KLX300R is available....and DR-Z is out of the price range either...I really mean the DR your aunt had :banana:)

Pigs is a relative word when you are used picking up a 1150GS :banana:

I too am leaning towards the KDX solution (although in the back of my mind the XR still echoes) ... I hope it turns out to be the play bike I am hoping it will be...

Anything specifically for the KDX I should check out before buying one? After what model year should I be looking for, (were there any significant upgrades)? Although I believe there were no upgrades to that bike at all.