Directed Inject 2-Stroke... when

From the knowledge I have gathered (and I openly admit that my knowledge is rather, no, very limited) it seems that the problem with DI is lubrication.

Several years ago, when out board motors made the push to DI 2 strokes because of EPA rules, the manufacturers all got slammed with bad reps as their engines began to literally blow up. Reason is, with out DI, the oil travels up the entire chamber with the gas, lubing everything. DI shoots gas in from the top but the oil still comes in from the bottom, without the two being mixed, the oil doesn't disperse like it should and cover everything adequately enough.

Yamaha did something to the piston head itself, tappering it at several different angle points (or something like that), so while the oil gets pushed up, it falls into the gaps of the piston and gets evenly spread to the top.

That is my very basic understanding to the biggest woe of a DI system.

The second woe, is starting. DI systems have to be pressurized. When first starting a bike, it would take several cranks before the bike would want to start. Hard to explain...

I dug up a link that gave me a lot of info, I'm sure it will explain things much better than I can. Enjoy.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/boating/1276871.html