Sign in to follow this  

Mid-level/priced helmet quality?

Needing a new lid I'm looking for something that's not gonna kill my bank account... dang economy. :busted:

What's the general consensus on the mid-priced helmets on the market these days? Somewhere in the $200-$300 range is where I'm looking.

if it fits well, and it has DOT and SNELL approvals, then i don't think there is anything wrong with a helmet in that price range.

Take a look at the latest Dirt Rider magazine. It has a very good article and test report on all price ranges of helmets. As for me I spent under $100.00 on my last helmet and other than a sticky adjustable vent that I had to figure out, I am very happy with the fit and protection it offers. Here's the one I got. http://www.zoxhelmets.com/86-71010_en.html

Thanks guys. I appreciate your input.

I was under the impression that if a cheaper helmet met the DOT and SNELL standards it was as good as a pricier one that met the same standards... just looks and brand name make up for the extra bucks I guess.

Check out Ebay for great deals. Last week I scored a brand new Bell Moto 8 for $141 delivered! It was the Yamaha of Troy edition, which apparently is why it was cheap; it's like a $399 helmet!

More important, make sure it fits right.

I'm gonna stop by the local motorcycle shop and try on a few.

if it fits well, and it has DOT and SNELL approvals, then i don't think there is anything wrong with a helmet in that price range.

+1

ALL helmets must pass the same minimum safety standards. Basically, the only thing you're paying for with more expensive helmets is weight and "coolness", IMO.

There are tons of people that crash a lot on cheap helmets and do just as well as people that spent 5x as much.

I would also agree main safety difference in high end helmet is that you don't get a cramp in your neck or whiplash landing a jump.

I don't consider Vega as a high end helmet at all, but they do have a new helmet at our dealership that is DOT and SNELL approved for $99... Seems a little iffy to me but it definitely has both ratings :busted:

Basically, the only thing you're paying for with more expensive helmets is weight and "coolness", IMO.

+ Comfort

If you are looking for a shoei or arai quality helmet at a fraction of the cost I would check out kali protectives. A local riders dad here in northern ca looked into the testing of these helmets and they came back to be as good if not better as the shoei and arai. They are also lighter than most helmets on the market.

I dont really care for there helmet designs but there are a few that are kind of growing on me.

http://kaliprotectives.com/moto/#/product/

I bought a fly helmet on closeout for 35 bucks. It has snell and dot rating. I think it's made by the same company as hjc because it looks exactly like an hjc helmet.

Tried on a Shift Agent today and liked it (DOT and SNELL rated good looking and cheap too)... good thing I went too since I thought I was a medium in pretty much all sizes... I'm a large in the Shift and Fox I tried on... was a medium for Thor.