Sign in to follow this  

Best wind-blocking hand guards?

I realize a lot of people get hand guards to literally guard their hands from brush, and protect the bars/levers in a fall. I'm not really concerned with that. I want hand guards that will block the most wind from hitting my hands.

I try and ride as deep into winter as I can here in New England, and I need to keep the wind off my hands once the temps hit 30 and below. Heated grips will be going on soon, but the hand guards are a key part of the warm-hands equation :busted: Heated grips only warm one side of your mits...

So, can anyone recommend hand guards that don't cost a fortune, and do a good job blocking the wind? The stock ones aren't bad, but I'm sure there are better.

Thanks all!

I did a little more searching and it looks like the Moose racing guards with their large cover are pretty cheap and effective. Anyone else have any ideas?

I have a pair of cycra pro guards and there do cut out the wind a fair bit. The best will be the elephant ears type of protection.

The Acerbis Multiplo Touring have the biggest shield and are also very strong. They are sold under a different name now but you will definitely recognize them. Cycras with the large shield are decent as well.

If you are only concerned about temperature nothing will beat a pair of Hippo Hands though. When it's really cold this is the only thing that will really work, best combined with heated grips or gloves.

HHClipOnNM.htm

I did a little more searching and it looks like the Moose racing guards with their large cover are pretty cheap and effective. Anyone else have any ideas?

+1 The Moose large covers are what I use on my bike. They keep water and the cold air blast off of your hands. :busted:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=34852

I bought the Moose handguards and they wouldn't fit (on top of other issues like the kit missing hardware). The brake side was fine, the clutch side wasn't even close. The clutch lever and cable got in the way.

Any of the handgaurds mentioned above fit the stock bars with stock clutch/brake levers? I really don't want to have to cut the ends off my levers (I can't pass inspections w/out the balls on the lever either).

Thanks all!

I bought the Moose handguards and they wouldn't fit (on top of other issues like the kit missing hardware). The brake side was fine, the clutch side wasn't even close. The clutch lever and cable got in the way.

Any of the handgaurds mentioned above fit the stock bars with stock clutch/brake levers? I really don't want to have to cut the ends off my levers (I can't pass inspections w/out the balls on the lever either).

Had the same issue with Moose handguards, clutch lever hit guard when all the way out, would have to run the bar higher or lower than the lever to clear. Lever ends would needed to be trimmed. Even with a loose trial fit everything was in a bind. Spent the extra $30 and got a set of Barkbusters from Twisted Throttle, had them on in 20 minutes. Fit great, no need to push in controls, no trimming of levers, and plenty of room behind bar for hands. Had them on for an AMA Dual sport ride this past week end, worked great, tested both the right and left side.

Have you considered Hippo Hands?

Alan

Edit: Mounted on stock bars

I bought the Cycra Pro Bends with the standard U-clamps, and they fit without having to trim your levers. I did, however, have to move my clutch and brake lever perches inboard about 1/4 inch to fully clear - nothing noticeable or bothersome.

I originally tried using Cycra's "solution mount," but it covers the speedo and blocks access to the iginition. They also have a triple clamp side mount and the new "center reach mount," but I don't know if either will fit the DR. Check out the standard mount Probends here, and the CRMs here.

I like the Cycras a lot!

schleppy,

I have Hippo-hands (http://www.hippohands.com/) and they definitely keep the air/rain off of your hands. The only drawback is fitting your gloved hand back into the 'hippo hand' opening while riding, but with practice is becomes second nature.

I've run them about 1-1/2 winters and they still look good and work well. If its less that 30 degree F, my hands still get cold, so I'm looking for warmer gloves.

It's best if you send them pictures of each side of your handlebar with your order if you don't have the stock plastic hand guards.

Good luck and happy riding.:busted:

Tom

I may just say eff the handguards and go with the hippo hands. I don't really need the handguards for protection, just for warmth.

Thanks all!

Yeah, I gotta figure something out too. My blinkers are on my bark busters. Oh, and hopefully they fit over the hand guards to start with...my pro-bends are pretty big.

No problems here with the Moose guards but my levers ends were trimmed off already. They do a great job but those handlebar mitts are the best thing to have when it gets really cold. Used them on my atv in the low 30's.