Factory Service Manual OR Cyclepedia Online Manual for KDX220R? Which to buy?

Within the next few weeks, I'll be taking apart the engine (hopefully top-end only) on my 2001 KDX220R due to the engine seizing on my last ride. I bought it used from a guy who claimed the top end was rebuilt recently. The engine seized on my second ride. Lesson learned.

With that said, I am trying to decide between a factory service manual care of repairmanuals.com for $69.85 (includes S/H and the 220 supplement) OR a lifetime subscription to the online only manual made by cyclepediaDOTcom for $34.95.

I am leaning towards the factory manual at twice the cost based on an example of a cyclepedia manual I found (I was not too impressed, especially after seeing google ads within the content pages). Anyone have any opinions or comments as to which way to go? Any feedback would be appreciated. FYI, I am looking for clarity, thoroughness, and good images/diagrams.

Sorry to hear of the bike troubles.

Go for the OEM manual. I have used both. Both are good, but the OEM is a little better, as it is more portable, among other things.

Many people swear by the online manuals because you can print them out and if you get the pages dirty it is no big deal. Personally I like having the paper in front of me so I can refer to it when I need it, not go clean up and look it up online like you would need with a computer.

Also check online for used copies. It may be the cost of the online copy.

Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the OEM service manual. I appreciate the feedback!

I too have used both. I like the Cyclepedia manual, but I was disappointed that it really does not have much that the factory manual does not. In fact, it appears that the Cyclepedia manual was created with the factory manual in front of them, as most of the photos are almost exactly the same as the illustrations in the factory manual. I think those guys missed a great opportunity to make a much better manual by adding more text to the procedures.

That said, the CP manual is cheaper than the factory one, and I am not aware of any significant information that is in the factory manual that is not in the CP one. Also, the photos in the CP manual are much easier to see than the crappy b&w photos in the factory one.

I too have used both. I like the Cyclepedia manual, but I was disappointed that it really does not have much that the factory manual does not. In fact, it appears that the Cyclepedia manual was created with the factory manual in front of them, as most of the photos are almost exactly the same as the illustrations in the factory manual. I think those guys missed a great opportunity to make a much better manual by adding more text to the procedures.

That said, the CP manual is cheaper than the factory one, and I am not aware of any significant information that is in the factory manual that is not in the CP one. Also, the photos in the CP manual are much easier to see than the crappy b&w photos in the factory one.

Thanks for the useful info. I have two questions for you:

1) Did the Google ads within the content pages of the CP manual not get annoying or obtrusive? Doesn't make sense why they would go that route for people who have paid.

2) I heard the argument that the CP manual does not have any 3D exploded view drawings to make part identification and/or reassembly that much easier. Does the CP manual really not have any drawings or illustrations?

Thanks again!

I to am wondering the exact same thing as Polish.

Question I have is, can you just print the CP manual and put it in a binder or alike? This way when I feel the pages get to dirty I can reprint them out. Doing it this way still allows me to have the 'paper manual' in front of me whenever I need it and if the 'manual' gets dirty I can reprint it.

Thanks guys, this is great info.

I to am wondering the exact same thing as Polish.

Question I have is, can you just print the CP manual and put it in a binder or alike? This way when I feel the pages get to dirty I can reprint them out. Doing it this way still allows me to have the 'paper manual' in front of me whenever I need it and if the 'manual' gets dirty I can reprint it.

Thanks guys, this is great info.

That works and if you have a office type printer you can certainly do that. But also we are comparing apples to oranges. The Cyclepedia isnt the same manual as the factory service manual. They are close with the same info but the sequence in steps is usually a little off. I think KDXGarage touched on that in his post.

But for the half the price it works!