Sign in to follow this  

removing chain links w/o remvl. tool

can it be done. i can grind the rivet heads, but i dont know if i can get the link out w/o tool. need 2 lose 1 link 2 allow my 15/41 setup on my S

I don't own the removal tool, I just use a grinder for the once or twice a year I change a chain. Take it slow so as not to get too much heat into links you are keeping particularly if you have a sealed (o, x, quad-x, z, etc) chain. You don't want to ruin the rubber seals. You will have to grind deeply into the side plate of the link, it is amazing how strong the links are.

ADD: If you have a vice I agree with the punch method. If I don't want to take the chain right off the bike I grind.

so i take the master link out and take that chain off and get it to a vise in order to punch out the unwanted link, or can i do this on the bike?

Where are you in CA? I have the tool. The grinder/punch method works good too. Did that for years until I got the tool.

if you grind them just take 2 big slotted screw drivers and work it right off, no fancy tools needed , just rock it back and forth on the ends and it just pops right off !

It's a PITA without a tool. Most shops have the cheapo motion pro or tusk for under $20. Good enough for infrequent use.

The amount of time spent foolin around far outways the cost.

Or maybe I am just getting old and lazy, or would that be smart. :busted:

You don't use the tool to remove the link. You'll bust the pin on hte tool.

I been making heat treated ones for years for those that don't believe it.

so i take the master link out and take that chain off and get it to a vise in order to punch out the unwanted link, or can i do this on the bike?

I have done this several times with grinder, some chains can be very tough, non-oring seem harder, def take off the bike, it will only take 5 min to do it right