Sign in to follow this  

First problem my DRZ has eva had, plez help

Ok guys, my baby wont start. And its NOT home, it "died" at a friends about 30 miles away.

Bike history: 1 previous owner (gearhead who put low hours on it and meticulously maintained used golden spectro synthetic 20w/50 2000 DRZ400 kickstart bought new in 2002)

Since i have owned it: amsoil full syn 20w/50 spring summer, 10w/40 fall winter, Mods twin air with prefilter, full yosh rs3, fmf jet kit, irdium ngk plugs, and skid plates, radiator guards frame guards, busters etc

I noticed the last few rides the drz was getting harder to start, usually 1-2 kicks was up to 3-4 kicks, I could hear the cam chain slapping so i replaced tensioner with the 2003on model unit, (spring in center bolt, looked way cheaper to make then the 2000-2002 unit, about half as heavy) I also changed out my 20w/50 oil (i changed my oil once in spring with this and once at end of summer, and now i changed to the 10/40 for fall

I have always changed oil and filters religiously because i have heard from many sources that your valves will stay in spec for longer. Bike ran like a top no smoking or any problems eva, NEVER has had a valve adjustment, my cousins crf250 is very fond of valve adjustments and when they go way off on his bike it wont start

I have FUEL/Spark

thx for reading part 1 section a of dr.z's first prob ..........jk

Ok guys, my baby wont start. And its NOT home, it "died" at a friends about 30 miles away.

Bike history: 1 previous owner (gearhead who put low hours on it and meticulously maintained used golden spectro synthetic 20w/50 2000 DRZ400 kickstart bought new in 2002)

Since i have owned it: amsoil full syn 20w/50 spring summer, 10w/40 fall winter, Mods twin air with prefilter, full yosh rs3, fmf jet kit, irdium ngk plugs, and skid plates, radiator guards frame guards, busters etc

I noticed the last few rides the drz was getting harder to start, usually 1-2 kicks was up to 3-4 kicks, I could hear the cam chain slapping so i replaced tensioner with the 2003on model unit, (spring in center bolt, looked way cheaper to make then the 2000-2002 unit, about half as heavy) I also changed out my 20w/50 oil (i changed my oil once in spring with this and once at end of summer, and now i changed to the 10/40 for fall

I have always changed oil and filters religiously because i have heard from many sources that your valves will stay in spec for longer. Bike ran like a top no smoking or any problems eva, NEVER has had a valve adjustment, my cousins crf250 is very fond of valve adjustments and when they go way off on his bike it wont start

I have FUEL/Spark

thx for reading part 1 section a of dr.z's first prob ..........jk

Maybe your cam chain skipped a couple teeth here and there and lead to this. Should have replaced chain and went with a Manual Cam Chain Tensioner.

Time to check the valves.

Im sure this has been beaten to death, but is there a easy way for a 18 year old kid with no money and a full craftsman set to put these back in spec, any good tutorials or links

Maybe your cam chain skipped a couple teeth here and there and lead to this. Should have replaced chain and went with a Manual Cam Chain Tensioner.

I dont think it skipped teeth as it wasnt as nearly as noisy as most of the drz400 videos with lose cam chains, its not that i dont want a mcct but the next gen cct was what i bought right before i found out about mcct

Check your valve clearances and look at timing when you are in their.

Good luck,

Jbw

are you sure ypu have fuel? some people make the mistake if thinking they have fuel but actually dont. ive done it myself lol. make sure theres atleast half a gallon.

• Like 1

:banghead:  :lol:  HAHAHA I wonder if he ever fixed it.....

Hahaha! People are so willing to help out here that they don't even look at the date! Awesome bunch around here!
  • Like 1

Must have gotten all the help he needed and absorbed all of the knowledge here because he hasn't been online under that user name since 2010!

• Like 1