Sign in to follow this  

New Seat Cover, on the cheap

Hi Folks,

I wanted a new seat cover, the one that was on the bike was bit worse for wear.

Being a bit of a skin flint, I wasn't prepared to pay the prices being asked in the shops.

(To do this job, you'll need, a pen, some sharp scissors, a staple gun, and some 6mm depth staples).

I should also say that my only experience of this kind of thing, was recovering a set of dining chairs, much the same but a lot easier, as it turned out!

This morning I set of into town to get some suitable material for a new seat cover.

I found the shop I was looking for and went in. You wouldn't believe it, the place, two floors and a double garage, was literally packed from floor to ceiling with rolls of fabric. You had to walk sideways to fit through the aisles!

I squeezed my way around and a asked couple of, what I assumed to be, regular customers if they thought the shop had anything like what I needed. "Just ask Rick, he's got a bike" they said.

Sure enough, Rick had just what I needed, a vinyl, very similar to a gripper seat cover.

I got home, and set about removing the old cover, I did this by removing each staple individually, therefore ending up with a pattern for my new cover.

(I was surprised to find the OEM cover underneath, a bit tatty and very shiny)!

Next I drew around the cover, leaving a good 2 inches to spare, all round.

I then spent a few minutes stretching the material around the seat just to see how it would fit.

The moment of truth, the first staple, I would suggest to anyone thinking of doing the same as me, to start your first staple right on the apex of the curve where the seat starts to bend up the tank.

I then worked towards the back of the seat, down one side, stretching the material over the seat as I went.

Stop an inch short of the radius at the back of the seat

Next, tighten the material across the seat, opposite where you put in your first staple.

Work your way towards the back of the seat, remember keep pulling and stretching the vinyl, all the time, making sure there are no wrinkles, stopping an inch short of the radius at the back of the seat.

Now comes the difficult bit, I started in the middle of the curve at the back, then halved the distance with each staple. There will be a lot of folds in the vinyl here, you only need to get rid of these where the material folds over the lip of the seat. You can achieve this by much puling, stretching and stapling.

Once the back end is finished, move back to your start point and repeat the process up to the front of the seat!

Voila, a new seat!

The most important things to remember when attempting this are:

Make sure you leave plenty of spare material when cutting your pattern, all the pulling and stretching you'll be doing is guaranteed to pull the material off centre, and If you didn't leave enough spare around the edges you might end up with a lack of vinyl just where you needed it and having to start again.

You must get all the wrinkles out as your working, they will not disappear with one final stretch with the last staple.

Take your time, it's not a race.

OK here are the before and after pictures:-

Before

P1010162.jpg

After

P1010166.jpg

Apart from fact that I did it it myself the other satisfying thing about this job was the price, It cost me the equivalent of $10 dollars for the vinyl, and I've still got enough left to make three more.

Now that, Ladies and gentlemen is what I call a result!

:busted::thumbsup::banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

• Like 2

Sweet deal for $10 and looks great, also congrats on doing it yourself and sharing tips on here!

Your welcome,

Forgot to say the whole uncovering, recovering thing took about two hours.

I was well pleased with the results!

:busted:

Also forgot to say that my new seat now puts the rest of the, sunfaded, bodywork to shame!

• Like 1