how fast is a cr500?

ive never ridden a cr 500 but how fast is it compared to my rm 250? i was thinkin about buying one also to trick out and rebuild for my senior project. thanks in advance

Night and Day diff. from a 250. The stock gearing is short , not much faster then the 250. You get there much faster though. They're able to pull a much taller gear. I had a one set up for desert . It topped out at a 104( that's what the radar gun said) I would look for a wide ratio bike . Which are the older bikes up to 88 and 93 and newer.

Re: CR500

Do your parents have a good accident insurance policy for you?

yea, good life insurance too

Dont quote me, but I think they were in the low to mid 60hp... 62hp stock at the rear wheel is what keeps coming to mind.. A brand new RM250 at the rear is puttin out around 47hp..

ok sweet. this is just a project not a main bike. btw

Great Desert bikes of open fire road I would rather ride a CR250 on the track this from a CR500 ownner.

You can ride a CR500 on the track But I would not my self gets there to fast they don't give you time to think.

Couple draw backs about 500 after a while you want it faster. they vibrate enough they crack pipes mounts you friends want to ride it and nothing the same after ownning one.

A 500 is not that much faster then a 250 mainly because your searching for traction and trying to keep the front wheel down. The main difference between a 500 and a 250 besides horsepower is torque. Thats why they're great dune bikes. In the sand with a paddle you get that torque and horsepower to the ground it smokes just about anything.

Every Time I Read About The 500 It Make Me Drool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've Gott's To Have One!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At 16 I think you would have to be an exceptional rider to handle one. I weighed about 220 last time I rode one; if you're under 150 I think it would be just plain scary. On the other hand, I'm jealous as hell; I would love to own a CR500.

where in oregon are you?

When I was 16/17, I had picked up a CR480. I know it's not a 500, but it had tons of power none the less, and I had no problems handling it. Did some MX riding with it, but mostly desert riding; since there is an abundance of open desert space out in Central Oregon. If you can ride a RM250, you can get used to a CR500. Just get the feel of it before you try to ring its neck.

When I was 16/17, I had picked up a CR480. I know it's not a 500, but it had tons of power none the less

the CR480 IS a 500, they had about the same power as the later watercooled CR500's, only with shorter gearing, the later CR500 was newer bigger than 491cc anyway.

If you can pick up a CR500 at a fair price, GET IT! it doesn't matter how much you weigh, I'm 170 pounds and my bike hasn't killed me yet, it has flipped me once, but I'm still alive:thumbsup:

It's a myth that you have to be 40 years old and weigh 250lbs to be able to handle a 500 2-stroke, I hate it when people use that as an argument, it's all in throttlecontrol, a throttlejockey can get hurt on any sized bike

Sorry to hi-jack, I just didn't want to start another 500 thread. I'm in the process of selling my quad and need some questions answered. I'll have around 2700-3000 and I want to buy a 500. The question is, do I wait months on end to find a decent 500af in my price range or jump on a clean steelie? The riding is open dezert, long washes and dunes with BIG, and i mean BIG hills. Anybody on here heard of the cinders? Hills like 100 dollar, double crater etc. Basically my riding consists of 75 percent dunes 25 percent open desert, i don't ride tracks at all. Also, were is a good place to look for/purchase a cr500? In AZ? Thanks.

At 16 I think you would have to be an exceptional rider to handle one. I weighed about 220 last time I rode one; if you're under 150 I think it would be just plain scary. On the other hand, I'm jealous as hell; I would love to own a CR500.

...Im 45, 5'-7"/150lbs. My CR500 is indeed pretty scary. The power is more like and on/off switch then compared to my XR600. Its like the Big-Block Camaro of dirtbikes. Totally useless & completely fun. Be careful

Sorry to hi-jack, I just didn't want to start another 500 thread. I'm in the process of selling my quad and need some questions answered. I'll have around 2700-3000 and I want to buy a 500. The question is, do I wait months on end to find a decent 500af in my price range or jump on a clean steelie? The riding is open dezert, long washes and dunes with BIG, and i mean BIG hills. Anybody on here heard of the cinders? Hills like 100 dollar, double crater etc. Basically my riding consists of 75 percent dunes 25 percent open desert, i don't ride tracks at all. Also, were is a good place to look for/purchase a cr500? In AZ? Thanks.

You will probably find an equal amount of pros/cons for alum/steel frames. Aluminum is bitchen, but the steelie aint bad either. Did you check Az. Craigslist??

...Im 45, 5'-7"/150lbs. My CR500 is indeed pretty scary. The power is more like and on/off switch then compared to my XR600. Its like the Big-Block Camaro of dirtbikes. Totally useless & completely fun. Be careful

As practical as owning a pet elephant! :busted:

You will probably find an equal amount of pros/cons for alum/steel frames. Aluminum is bitchen, but the steelie aint bad either. Did you check Az. Craigslist??

Yes, but there's not much of anything on there, steel or aluminum.

mine with 14/46 pulls 168km/h not sure what that is in miles, bit over a hundred i think. will still loft the front wheel 5th gear on demand

The thing about the big bore 2t is they get there fast which can be decieving, they say you dont realise your on a big bore until you fall off one. or when your overshoot your first corner. You think damn i was going in a bit hotter than i thought and you soon realise how much harder it is to wash of the extra speed you didnt notice you were pulling

hope that made sense

mine with 14/46 pulls 168km/h

really? i have only used stock 14/49 for ever and i want to try something like 15/46 for streets. did u measure the top speed with other sprockets?

And back to the original question, yes it will do 5th gear wheelies. When i first had mine i rode in dirt and wheel spin in 5th gear made me believe it was a myth so i went on pavement and hold it open in 5th gear, guess what , in no time at all I the bike was completely vertical with my foots touching the ground.