Reliability?

Just wondering how you guys have found the reliabilty of the 450x to be? Im thinking of finally upgrading my old XR250 and im worried about the maintenance schedule of the new bikes? Vavles/Engine oil etc. Anyone have any problems or concerns? I know the XR is bullet proof but Im just looking for some experiance with the newer machines etc. Thanks for any help!!

Just wondering how you guys have found the reliabilty of the 450x to be? Im thinking of finally upgrading my old XR250 and im worried about the maintenance schedule of the new bikes? Vavles/Engine oil etc. Anyone have any problems or concerns? I know the XR is bullet proof but Im just looking for some experiance with the newer machines etc. Thanks for any help!!

Yes they are expensive to maintain but fun to ride. If you want low maintenance buy a two stroke.

Yes they are expensive to maintain but fun to ride. If you want low maintenance buy a two stroke.

I DONT want a 2stroke! LOL

There not that bad. The thing is you need to change your oil often,at least every other ride and clean yur air filter after each ride. These are racing bikes per se and require maintenence. I have an 2005 and with the frequent oil changes and air filter cleaning I haven't had one problem out mine. No valve or piston problems. It is much easier to do the maintenence than the engine work. So like they say "pay me now or pay me later"

I came from a XR400 which I liked a lot. But once I rode the 450X, I was hooked and never looked back. The extra care involved is well worth the added fun. I have become so much more familiar with my bike now that I give it more attention.

I agree the XR's are bullet proof but they are now where near as fun as the x.

Read up here on the list, there is a lot of valuable info and tips.

Mike

XR=beat it till it's senseless and then do it again, it will take all the abuse

CRF=maintain and it will love a good flogging, also 30% less weight and 100% more performance

Of course any bike you need to maintain regularly. The problem with the new four-strokes(if you put a lot of miles on them and ride them hard) you will be doing expensive valve jobs on them.

If you are a casual rider, no worries.

I find the reliability to be "great"... in fact, superb if you will.

... it's all relative to what you want out of it, and how you treat it, how you ride it...etc.etc.

Now, understand you own a small compact car (Chevy Chevette comes to mind), and love how it gets good gas mileage. But can't stand how it doesn't offer the corvette performance. You get on the freeway, floored on the gas and barely get up to speed. When the corvette will get up to speed and then some. However, think how much more fuel you'll use in the vette... how much more tires are, and how often they are changed. Your stepping up into a league where everything is more expensive and relative.

... figure out if that performance is worth the added funds, and time in maintenance and understanding of what you own, before taking the plunge.

(oh how I love analogies :busted:)

(oh how I love analogies :busted:)

JAT hit the nail on the head:thumbsup:

I find the reliability to be "great"... in fact, superb if you will.

... it's all relative to what you want out of it, and how you treat it, how you ride it...etc.etc.

Now, understand you own a small compact car (Chevy Chevette comes to mind), and love how it gets good gas mileage. But can't stand how it doesn't offer the corvette performance. You get on the freeway, floored on the gas and barely get up to speed. When the corvette will get up to speed and then some. However, think how much more fuel you'll use in the vette... how much more tires are, and how often they are changed. Your stepping up into a league where everything is more expensive and relative.

... figure out if that performance is worth the added funds, and time in maintenance and understanding of what you own, before taking the plunge.

(oh how I love analogies :banana:)

:busted: I didn't know you were a Chevette man.:thumbsup:

... Chevy Sprint mainly. :busted:

Thanks for all the advice guys!! Im not affraid of the maintenance but just wanted to see if anyone has blown one up, and had a good maint/schedule?? I would be a little hesistant if i did regular oil and tune and still put the vavles through the head etc. Im very mechanically incline and could tear it down and put it back together no problem. Yes regular oil and filter makes sense but will I have check the vavles every second ride? or replace them after season or 2? Just wondering with regular scheduled maintenance will they live for 4 or 5yrs without a top end etc? Yes I know the power and weight is worth it, ive ridden a few. Thanks again and keep the subject going. I just need to blow up the XR and then convince the wife I need a new bike LOL

............but just wanted to see if anyone has blown one up, and had a good maint/schedule?? I would be a little hesistant if i did regular oil and tune and still put the vavles through the head etc. .......

Blow'd mine up twice (figuratively speaking).

... once due to stock Ti valves tulipping on me, and second to a crank's thrust washer going bad. But never blew it up, like a smoker would seize.

Does a transmission count as a blow'd up bike? If so, yup... just did that too.

Regular maintenance?!?! Depends on what you call regular, but...

I maintained my bike better than most would consider regular, or even anal. I changed my oil(s) and filter every ride. No matter if it was 50miles or 600miles. Air Filter was cleaned every chance I had two seconds, and since I buy "ready filters" ... I did it A LOT! Never a day went by that I was changing a filter either during a ride or camping trip. And I kept my bike pretty darn clean, well lubed (bearings, chain, etc), and loved.

... but, I also rode that bad-mamma-jamma like she was ... well ... stolen, and the cops were chasin me. ...:busted: If ya ride it like a grandma, I think you could easily get years and years out of everything stock, I see 2005s often on completely stock motors, valves and transmissions.

I see 2005s often on completely stock motors, valves and transmissions.

:busted: It all depends on how you ride it. Modern four-stroke valve trains aren't designed for longevity under extreme conditions. If you want true longevity with low maintenance, stick with an XR :thumbsup:

That being said, with regular oil and air filter maintenance and with moderate riding, you'll put a lot of hours on a 450x before you need to even think about replacing valves.

If you want a big fat smile on your face every time you ride, get a 450x. Besides, you'll get to spend more time in the garage and who doesn't love that?

Blow'd mine up twice (figuratively speaking).

... once due to stock Ti valves tulipping on me, and second to a crank's thrust washer going bad. But never blew it up, like a smoker would seize.

Does a transmission count as a blow'd up bike? If so, yup... just did that too.

Regular maintenance?!?! Depends on what you call regular, but...

I maintained my bike better than most would consider regular, or even anal. I changed my oil(s) and filter every ride. No matter if it was 50miles or 600miles. Air Filter was cleaned every chance I had two seconds, and since I buy "ready filters" ... I did it A LOT! Never a day went by that I was changing a filter either during a ride or camping trip. And I kept my bike pretty darn clean, well lubed (bearings, chain, etc), and loved.

... but, I also rode that bad-mamma-jamma like she was ... well ... stolen, and the cops were chasin me. ...:busted: If ya ride it like a grandma, I think you could easily get years and years out of everything stock, I see 2005s often on completely stock motors, valves and transmissions.

Since you have 70 post I'm sure you don't know JAT (johnnyairtime) well. JAT and a few others on the board a very good riders. What would take you a few rides to do they do it in less then a day. JAT what place did your team finish over all in the Baja 1000 a few years ago? Wasn't it 4th or 6th? That alone lets you know what kind of rider he is, and how hard he can beat on a bike. So don't let yourself think the 450X is easy to blow up, JAT just knows how to beat on his bike. :thumbsup:

JAT where is that video with the helicopter over head following you guys? That was cool.

You will have issues with it like every bike. Valves are one that you will have someday. I've seen post were guy have very few hours on their bike and need valve. I've seen other that have 4 year old bikes with a lot of hours on them and no issues at all.

*** Krannie? How does that post help the guy? Oh boy I have a clean bike I never ride?

Yes you will do valves if you ride a lot bottom line.(Krannie doesn't, his bike will last almost forever).

There is not one guy on here that rides a lot that hasn't had to do a valve job on their bike, I don't care how good of care you keep it in...change the oil and filter every 50 miles?...won't make much of a difference, those valves go.

If you are riding a xr250 and you move to this bike you have no worries. If you start riding a lot, you will have to replace the valves.

Would I buy another one??? Oh yes!!!

*** Krannie? How does that post help the guy? Oh boy I have a clean bike I never ride?

Yes you will do valves if you ride a lot bottom line.(Krannie doesn't, his bike will last almost forever).

There is not one guy on here that rides a lot that hasn't had to do a valve job on their bike, I don't care how good of care you keep it in...change the oil and filter every 50 miles?...won't make much of a difference, those valves go.

If you are riding a xr250 and you move to this bike you have no worries. If you start riding a lot, you will have to replace the valves.

Would I buy another one??? Oh yes!!!

Rob I do have to back Krannie a little on this one. He does have a lot of hours on his bike. I know last year he didn't ride much, but before that he did. I've done a lot of rides with him, and he doesn't baby the bike. The guy can ride, and he is smooth.

What I don't understand is why his are still going strong. Maybe his rev's are not as high as other guys? I do know he takes care of the bike real good, but I still don't get why he's still on his stock valves. :busted:

Rob I do have to back Krannie a little on this one. He does have a lot of hours on his bike. I know last year he didn't ride much, but before that he did. I've done a lot of rides with him, and he doesn't baby the bike. The guy can ride, and he is smooth.

What I don't understand is why his are still going strong. Maybe his rev's are not as high as other guys? I do know he takes care of the bike real good, but I still don't get why he's still on his stock valves. :busted:

I have never ridden with him so i am speaking from second hand, my bad. If you have ridden with him many times and vouche for him great, I have heard he does baby his bike which is not a bad thing just different from what I am talking about. Nothing wrong with rideing mellow and taking care of your bike.

From the posts I have seen he doesn't actually ride all that much. Again no problem but don't tell me about valves on a bike that doesn't get ridden.

Since you have 70 post I'm sure you don't know JAT (johnnyairtime) well. JAT and a few others on the board a very good riders. What would take you a few rides to do they do it in less then a day. JAT what place did your team finish over all in the Baja 1000 a few years ago? Wasn't it 4th or 6th? That alone lets you know what kind of rider he is, and how hard he can beat on a bike. So don't let yourself think the 450X is easy to blow up, JAT just knows how to beat on his bike. :banana:

JAT where is that video with the helicopter over head following you guys? That was cool.

You will have issues with it like every bike. Valves are one that you will have someday. I've seen post were guy have very few hours on their bike and need valve. I've seen other that have 4 year old bikes with a lot of hours on them and no issues at all.

... oh Tom, you make me :thumbsup: ....:banana:

But since you asked, in 2007 SCORE (Season Points) Open Pro, Class 22 ... 3rd place. Beaten by Team Honda and Team KTM. :busted: A very proud year for us. And that video is... uhhhh... here; http://planetpinned.com/play.php?vid=105 (for the 2006 Baja 500, on my old 2005 450X).

No let me go air-down back to earth