'84 KLR600...can't choke it enough

I have a '84 KLR600. It will fire up but I cannot keep it running. I cannot choke it enough....seems like it is getting to much air somehow.

I know the choke works on the carb, but I have to stuff a rag into the air box intake to keep it running. After it warms up I can take the rag out but I have to leave the choke all the way on to keep it going. It revs normally and seems to run ok. The bike is completely stock.

Any ideas?

I have a '84 KLR600. It will fire up but I cannot keep it running. I cannot choke it enough....seems like it is getting to much air somehow.

I know the choke works on the carb, but I have to stuff a rag into the air box intake to keep it running. After it warms up I can take the rag out but I have to leave the choke all the way on to keep it going. It revs normally and seems to run ok. The bike is completely stock.

Any ideas?

Clean and rebuild your carp. Stay away from the rags. Genuine Thumper Talkers don't stuff rags in holes.:busted:

First thing to check is the vent line on the left side of the carb. If that is blocked or melted (like against the exhaust) the slide will not rise. The slide has the needle.

If all that is OK pull the carb & clean the jets.

If not done, drill out the plug that covers the idle mix screw so you can adjust it correctly. Research "22 cent mod".

First thing to check is the vent line on the left side of the carb. If that is blocked or melted (like against the exhaust) the slide will not rise. The slide has the needle.

If all that is OK pull the carb & clean the jets.

If not done, drill out the plug that covers the idle mix screw so you can adjust it correctly. Research "22 cent mod".

Please, the original question sounds like a made up story. You were chumped into answering. And the 22 cent mod, why do you think it is 22 cents? If Kawasaki thought that 22 cents would make their bike better don't you think their engineers would incorporate this 22 cent modification into their design? Of course they would. But they don't because the 22 cent modification is a myth and a palliative to the ignorant.:busted: But hey go ahead and drill the sealed cover off and ruin your carb.:banana:

Research "Myth":thumbsup:

Well, the original question isn't made up I assure you...lol.

I have cleaned and rebuilt the carb once already with new jets, gaskets, etc. It looked very clean inside...no varnish or anything like that.

I'll check on that vent line and see what shape it's in....thanks! The idle mix cover is already gone...I'll check the adjustment on that too.

Just in case I cannot find the stock idle mix setting...anyone know what it is offhand?

Have you checked your valve clearances?

That could account for it not starting when cold.

Good luck

Arai