Sign in to follow this  

So I decided...

That because of the cost of the new yzf450, I am going back to a 2t.

I can pick up either an 06 or newer YZ250....

Here is the question...

Is it worth it to buy it brand new or used? Can a 2T be a hidden disaster engine/tranny wise without really knowing?

Obviously the new bike will be more pricey, but it will be fresh and free from issues.

If you had the money, would you buy new or used for a great price and use the difference to add some mods...

Welcome back to the dark side! Now go get some cookies...

I always buy new if I can, nothing like a newer bike, but for the most part you can tell how a bike has been maintained with a close inspection of the bike... Good luck on your search!

If you've got the cash to spend Souperfly is right, there's nothing like a brand new bike. On the other hand, I personally wouldn't buy brand new. You could get a bike a few years old that hasn't been ridden much at all for a thousand, maybe two thousand bucks cheaper. You should be picky as to what you're purchasing used but generally there are great deals out there in this economy.

Look at it this way; if you get a bike in great condition for even only a thousand less, you could do a top end and a bottom end for less than $500, top of the line reed system for $150, and a new exhaust including header and you'd break about even.

Pretty much everything maintenance wise I can do, however I have never SPLIT cases... so that makes me worried if there is a problem with the stuff hidden!

What about leftover 450s? They can be had in the low $4000 range or so I've heard. I bought my '07 CRF450R for $4900 OTD cash last winter; could have found one a couple hundred less at the time, but I don't like shopping too much.

Local deals are definitely the best. If you can find a gearhead that has a project bike that needs one or two things to be basically brand new. I just picked up a '91 KTM 300mx that has brand new everything except for a bearing that costs 90 bucks. I get the bearing, and he'll put the bike back together for me for free. Costs me 300 bucks for a bike that is easily worth 3k with everything done to it.

Of my 20 + years of riding I've never had a new bike of my own. I've bought my son a few but not for me.....Maybe thats why I never got very fast....

I've always picked up a really clean used (1 yr old) bikes and rode them to HELL

It's rare that a bottom goes out on a modern 2T. They have them dialed and they are not trying to shave every smidge of weight off to make them NOT be a pig, like the 450's. I say go for a clean used 250 2T and would not be overly paranoid about the motor. A top is $400 even if the cylinder is trashed. Oddly the new 450 weighs 7 POUNDS MORE than last year. I guess you pay more and you get more :thumbsup: You could buy a 2010 450F and spend another grand to make it 10 pounds lighter then still weigh 10 pounds more than a YZ250....or just by the YZ250 and have it all. speed, reliability, lightweight and fun!:busted:

After you ride the 2T for a month, you will wonder why you ever drank the Kool Aid. I got a YZ250 and never going back.

BRAAP!

Hey i have recently traded for a 2000 yz250. blew out the old rusty exhaust and ordered a fmf gnarly header for $314 powercor 2 silencer for $175 CAN. checked the carb because it was leaking gas out the drainage very fast when not running and the screws on the carb are so stripped i had to use vice grips to take them off. do you have any idea where i can get carb screws? Dealership? And for about how much if possible.

I was saying the cylinder as well. Even if he trashed the entire top end. I get my piston kits for about the same. Replating a cylinder will cost about 200-240. Not to mention it can be rebuilt by the owner in his garage with four tools in about an hour or two if your drinking a beers. Six pack, phillips, 8,10,12mm T handle, 12mm wrench and your in.

Hey i have recently traded for a 2000 yz250. blew out the old rusty exhaust and ordered a fmf gnarly header for $314 powercor 2 silencer for $175 CAN. checked the carb because it was leaking gas out the drainage very fast when not running and the screws on the carb are so stripped i had to use vice grips to take them off. do you have any idea where i can get carb screws? Dealership? And for about how much if possible.

Motosport has a great OEM section.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem.php?make=YAMAHA&type=DIRT&model=YZ250M1&year=2000&groupId=90240

I was saying the cylinder as well. Even if he trashed the entire top end. I get my piston kits for about the same. Replating a cylinder will cost about 200-240. Not to mention it can be rebuilt by the owner in his garage with four tools in about an hour or two if your drinking a beers. Six pack, phillips, 8,10,12mm T handle, 12mm wrench and your in.

Haha very true man.

I'm not sure if you race, or are competitive, but I was reading yesterday that Yamaha's contingency program only pays out if you're riding on the latest 2 production years.

i recently bought a 06 yz250 and love it. it has the exact same motor as the 07 08 09 010 so its a good buy and yz's r legendary

i recently bought a 06 yz250 and love it. it has the exact same motor as the 07 08 09 010 so its a good buy and yz's r legendary

+2 :busted:

That because of the cost of the new yzf450, I am going back to a 2t.

I can pick up either an 06 or newer YZ250....

Here is the question...

Is it worth it to buy it brand new or used? Can a 2T be a hidden disaster engine/tranny wise without really knowing?

Obviously the new bike will be more pricey, but it will be fresh and free from issues.

If you had the money, would you buy new or used for a great price and use the difference to add some mods...

The YZ250 is worth buying, and you're in for the most satisfying relationship of your life :thumbsup: