Sign in to follow this  

2009-2010 crf250r valve problems?

i am trying to deside on a new 250f to get, i really like the hondas but i heer that they have alot of valve issues. how often do you have to ajust the stock valves on the 09 crf250r? can you make the valves last alot longer with different valves?.... my main concern is i will be stuck with a bike that i have to dump $$$$ in all the time which i can not do. so please help:worthy:

i am trying to deside on a new 250f to get, i really like the hondas but i heer that they have alot of valve issues. how often do you have to ajust the stock valves on the 09 crf250r? can you make the valves last alot longer with different valves?.... my main concern is i will be stuck with a bike that i have to dump $$$$ in all the time which i can not do. so please help:worthy:

Some guys on here have over 100 hours and their valves are solid. Take care of it, and it will take care of you. Obviously alot decides on how you ride. Do a search here, there is a ton of info on valves.

im a pretty hard rider and i put steel intakes in after my first summer and I have lasted 2 summers and just did my first adjustment. ive heard of others getting long life out of the steel intake valves also.

i got long life out of my stock valves, i got just as much life out of my steel valves as the oem ones.. take care of the bike..

It's really not the stock valves that are bad. 50% of the time, poor maintenance is the cause of valve failure. The other part is poor sealing of the air box to the air boot. If you take the time to re-seal the boot to the box with hi-temp black RTV, you'll take 50% of the uncontrolable valve failture away. The other 50% is your responsibility to make sure that the filter is clean and sealed to the air box. Many guys swear by the stainless valves, but I am one of those guys that have had great success with the stock valves lasting 100+ hours with no adjustment. I don't ride, but my kid is a front of the pack B rider, and he beats the hell out of the bike. I personally don't care for the stainless valves. We all have our preferences though.

o, i also heer the honda comes right out of the box with unajusted valves, is that true?

Dont believe everything you HEAR. However, it is always a good idea to check the valve specs when you get the bike, that way you have a baseline to determine whether or not they have moved.

As others have hinted, proper maintenance is key. Change your oil, and keep the air filter clean, and you wont have any problems.

o, i also heer the honda comes right out of the box with unajusted valves, is that true?

Left intake valve on our 08 250 was out .002 new. Left intake valve on the 09 450 was out .002 also. I wouldn't say unadjusted because after they run them from the initial build, as long as they start up fine, I can't see them pulling it apart and making sure everything stayed right on. I'm sure some of them are right at .011 on the exhausts and .006 on the intakes right out of the factory, but how many people really check.

the bikes are started briefly after they go through PDI so the wierd clearance can be due to that.. but its always good to check them when you get the bike

I have found that the factory air filters seal the best, anyone else?

I agree 100%. I have nothing but stock Honda air filters. They fit the best out of all the aftermarket filters I've seen.

I seen that they also sell a filter seal that eliminates the need for grease on the foam seal on the filter to the airbox. I haven't tried it, but I've heard they're very good.