Sign in to follow this  

310mm Brake rotor...

I'll put it out there right off the bat, I need a new front rotor for my SM set up. 310mm please. I'm hoping someone out there has one that's not crazy expensive. I've already dropped a pretty penny on the SM set up. Warp 9 wheels on an '03 KLX 400.

Now for the real, hopefully not to long winded, question:

The 320mm rotor that came with my Warp 9's was too big. Or the relocator was too short? So they sent me a "similar" 310. I did fit, however the rotor had a much different finish on it. (see first pic) Instead of the normal glossy type finish, it was more of a mat finish. Almost resembling a fine grain powder coat??? I contacted warp 9 and asked if this was the way it was supposed to be. The person I talked to seemed to know what I was talking about and said that he thought it was to help increase braking power?

So I installed the rotor and took a short ride. It felt a little funny and upon inspection I found that the caliper was not centered all that great. I had to space the wheel over a couple of millimeters and things looked better. Went for long ride. Got home to discover that the rotor was severely gouged and the pads were destroyed. Not only that, but it seemed that a few small chunks of metal had been "welded" to the braking surface of the rotor!? (See next pic)

I'm wondering if anyone has seen or heard of this before? It appears that what ever that coating or finish was melted or something. I'm at a loss here! :thumbsup:

So any help or ideas would be much appreciated. As would a rotor so I can go ride before the snow falls!!! :busted:

Thanks.

Brandon

3902223638_bbdfce9512_b.jpg

3902336672_0343f3113a_b.jpg

:banana:

3841965652_2369ec7246_b.jpg

Shouldn't you be using a 320mm rotor with that setup?

You would think. But the 320mm, with the Warp 9 set up, does not fit on my bike. I'm running some after market Ohlins FG 9910 forks. So that might make a difference, but I'm thinking, since the entire stock KLX dirt set up fits with the fork, the fork isn't the problem. I think the caliper relocator that came with the kit is machined wrong. This, however, isn't a concern for me if a 310 works. And it does "fit". My issue is what the hell happened to my pads and rotor! :thumbsup: I think it's the finish that came on the rotor that became molten??? :busted: Maybe? This is my question...

i really cannot help sorry but please please post a pic of theOhlins forks

i really cannot help sorry but please please post a pic of theOhlins forks

This is the only decent pic of the fork I have on hand. I was taken during the ride that toasted my front brake.

3890078688_a37d6895b1_b.jpg

My guess is the rotor is not centered in the caliper causing a serious rub and excess heat. Since you have Ohlins forks I have no idea how to fix it.

To start with, centering was a problem. The relocator was too thick, so I had to use a 2mm wheel spacer on the caliper side and that solved the centering issue.

I'm still curious if anyone has seen this new 310 rotor that Warp 9 is distributing, if all these rotors have this curious finish, and if anyone has experienced similar problems???

Thanks

The only suggestion I can come up with is get yourself a full floating rotor. Have no clue as to why your rotor and pads look like that. Nice bike by the way! :busted:

The only suggestion I can come up with is get yourself a full floating rotor. Have no clue as to why your rotor and pads look like that. Nice bike by the way! :busted:

Full floating rotor. Got ya. Sounds cheap. :banana: Well, I'll start lookin around for a full floating 310. Thanks!

And yeah, I love my bike!!!! :thumbsup: