New KTM owner! Just a few questions....

I just bought my first KTM! It is an 06' 250XC-W and its awesome! It is immaculate and has 30 hours on it. I have read the topics on the forum and just am looking for a few opinions of what other KTM owners think.

I was wondering what oil and the ratio you use in your premix. The manual says 40:1-60:1. Also just little tips about the bike that you might think will be helpful. Thanks for any info :busted:

Really, anywhere between 40 and 60:1 is good. I just split the difference and go 50:1. Many go 44:1 because it's easy to remember 3 oz per gallon in case they are caught out without a measuring device. But really a small change won't make a difference. Best advice, pick a ratio, stick to it, jet to it, and ride. Pick a good synthetic oil.

Read thru the FAQ sticky at the top of the forum, go thru the links. Lots of good info on stuff to look out for, check, along with tips.

Beyond that, congrats on the new to you bike and welcome to the KTM 2 stroke forum.:busted:

I just bought my first KTM! It is an 06' 250XC-W and its awesome! It is immaculate and has 30 hours on it. I have read the topics on the forum and just am looking for a few opinions of what other KTM owners think.

I was wondering what oil and the ratio you use in your premix. The manual says 40:1-60:1. Also just little tips about the bike that you might think will be helpful. Thanks for any info :busted:

50:1 Motul 800, power valve doesn't gum up like every other oil I tried, it doesn't load up over riding either, its always ready to go 100% when I get on it.

I've tried many oils.. I love motul and stickin to it.

I'm running Amsoil Interceptor (full synthetic designed to keep your powervalves clean) at 50:1 in my '09 200XC-W. Runs sweet and has very minimal smoke / spooge.

Congrats on the KTM by the way. I was a Yamaha guy for years but have finally seen the light as well :busted:

I'm running Amsoil Interceptor (full synthetic designed to keep your powervalves clean) at 50:1 in my '09 200XC-W. Runs sweet and has very minimal smoke / spooge.

Congrats on the KTM by the way. I was a Yamaha guy for years but have finally seen the light as well :busted:

I've got 0 spooge.

I like the intercepter also, I run just about anything in the gear box. Sometimes nothing, sometimes water and dirt. Niether of those are recomended, I like amsoil or atf. ATF is alot cheaper though (great, here comes the gear oil aft debate again)

Nothing but Amsoil's Dominator @ 50:1 and ATF....My 2 strokes seem to shift better with ATF.

Best advice, pick a ratio, stick to it, jet to it, and ride. Pick a good synthetic oil.

Read thru the FAQ sticky at the top of the forum, go thru the links. Lots of good info on stuff to look out for, check, along with tips.

Beyond that, congrats on the new to you bike and welcome to the KTM 2 stroke forum.:busted:

I am looking for some clarification... If I have 'spooge" adn have always mixed at around 40 to 45 :1....... If I go to 50 to 55:1, it will not hurt my A/F mix, and if anything it would fatten it up slightly. Right?

Leaning the oil richens the fuel, Does anyone think the extra oil in my mix is doing me any good, probably not! thanks for teh input and sorry for jakcin the thread again!

I am looking for some clarification... If I have 'spooge" and have always mixed at around 40 to 45 :1....... If I go to 50 to 55:1, it will not hurt my A/F mix, and if anything it would fatten it up slightly. Right?

Just imo, its never a good idea to pre-mix leaner to try fix jetting issues like excess spooge ect. Picking a pre-mix ratio and then jetting the carb to suit is the best way of doing it if you want the best balance of performance/lubrication for your engine.

Aido pretty much summed it up. You are better off solving your jetting issue instead of trying to fix it by changing your mix ratio.

The flash point and burn rate of the oil comes into play as well. Some oils require higher burn temps to efficiently burn the mix. I tried running 800 one time and my bike spooged bad. (IDK if there are different types of 800, but the bottle I had was designed for high revving street bikes that ran a lot harder than I do, and I wasn't burning the oil). I am not a "on the pipe" rider.

Anyway, I went back to Motul 710, due to availability and familiarity. I would switch to Amsoil, but no one around carries it.

This is why I didn't note any particular brand, pick a good synthetic, ratio, and jet your bike correctly.

If you have spooge at 44:1, you could end up with more spooge at 55:1 as you are richening your jetting. It depends on where you are rich in the carb, pilot, main....

I mean I am just trying to clean up the spooge, My jetting is fine I am just saying that by leaning the oil down to get the exhaust cleaned up, the result on the fuel side is that it richens in up slightly. Is that correct? I run spectro oil

I mean I am just trying to clean up the spooge, My jetting is fine I am just saying that by leaning the oil down to get the exhaust cleaned up, the result on the fuel side is that it richens in up slightly. Is that correct? I run spectro oil

yes, you are richening and changing your jetting.:busted: You could end up with more spooge. overly rich on jetting on one circuit or more results in spooge. I got lots of spooge by only changing to a premix that had a higher flashpoint than what I was using. But, it was all I could get my hands on at the time.

If you are spooging, you are likely rich somewhere. If it's not bad and running well, leave it alone. NEVER jet by the tailpipe, I jet by feel and the plug. Wet oil line is the proper way, just too lazy to pull the pipe multiple times.

Most of us, if rich, are rich on the pilot circuit, whether it's the jet or the needle.

i run the chevron 2 cycle oil that you can get at your local cheveron station at 32:1 for easy woods riding so i dont drown the bike in oil

i run the chevron 2 cycle oil that you can get at your local cheveron station at 32:1 for easy woods riding so i dont drown the bike in oil

How's that workin for ya?

Honestly I love the feel of the bike!! AS IS, but the tail pipe looks like blank, that is all I am wanting to accomplish and I am not too teribly worried about that. I always mixed a 12 oz bottel of spectro with 4.5 gallons of high test and my dad always mixes it with 4 gallons, sometimes he gets a case of the synth spectro. what did you say you run Moss?

Honestly I love the feel of the bike!! AS IS, but the tail pipe looks like blank, that is all I am wanting to accomplish and I am not too teribly worried about that. I always mixed a 12 oz bottel of spectro with 4.5 gallons of high test and my dad always mixes it with 4 gallons, sometimes he gets a case of the synth spectro. what did you say you run Moss?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8579738&postcount=10 :busted: I keep a 4 ltr bottle on the shelf.

anyway, if it's not drooling down the silencer, fouling plugs, or you aren't too particular (I am), then don't worry about it.

Unless it really bad I wouldn't change it at all. I like a little spooge, it showing me it's oiled... Besides it not hard to clean...

Now, if it's so bad it's getting on the rear brakes it need to be rejetted...

We use Motorex Cross Power 2T at 44:1 (3oz) I mix 50:1 (2.6oz) Motorex for my chainsaws and weedwackers. :busted:

Thanks for all the input! Just took the new bike out today and rode about 20 miles of single track and it was awesome! Definately a believer in the KTM