Sign in to follow this  

mod the ttr or new bike?

My seven yr old daughter has been riding her ttr50 for about a year now. She had about 2 months or so of riding then winter came. I wanted to keep the ball rolling so took her and my son to an indoor track six or seven times through the winter to keep them riding. We were the only ones there who were not on ktm's or cobras. Didn't matter to me, I just wanted them to be able to ride through the winter. It was a huge confidence builder. Now my kids have raced harescrambles and enduros in the micro class all summer. The boy has a mini sx for the x-country stuff and a pro JR that we will try at the mx track. They are starting to talk about going to the Sandbox again(the indoor track). I don't wan't to take the ttr there again. It's great for the x-country stuff right now but she is a little bigger now and a better rider. She doesn't want to give it up. I want to put her on a SR adventure as it would be dual purpose and fit her class for 2 more years. What do I do? Ive thought about putting better suspension on it but that and a few other mods adds up to a good used sr adventure that already has good susp. and brakes and larger front wheel. HElLP! thx John

Modding a 50 is a lot of work, check out the PW80/TTR90 (she'll outgrow this quick if she's over 4') and XR/CRF 70/80. Or look into the KTM/Cobras that fit her now. Remember, each bike has it's own purpose, the XRs will probably work well for enduros, but they're not so hot at MX.

Unless you want to put her on one of the bigger bikes you have now and see how it goes.

Yup I agree with the smacaroni. I wouldn't waste my money on making it try to keep up with the 50 racers. You'll just wish you went ahead and bought a Cobra/Lem/Polini instead.

If she doesn't want to give up TTR after getting the new bike, you'll be doing like me, dragging it with you and using both in the same day. She'll eventually give up on the TTR or you'll just have to stop bringing it :thumbsup:

Good luck on your decision :busted:

The micro class she competes in for hare scrambles and enduro mandates that all 2 strokes be oil injected. To my knowledge only the sr adventure would work for her. Are there any injected bikes that are not small starter bikes. She will primarily use the bike for the offroad racing and a few joy rides at the indoor track during winter. Are lem's still in production? anyone have a link? thx

The LEM works great for mini enduro's & H/S in the Macro class. With the Tomar clutch you can adjust when the clutch comes on and it has two radiators and great suspension.

Unless you add taller suspension to a CRF or TTR your rider will hit every rock, stump & rut with their foot pegs & shift & brake lever, I know because we raced a TTR50 before and they have very little ground clearance.

FYI We will have a LEM R3 For Sale after the H/S season in MN.

BTW your two kids are improving there skills at every race this year. :busted:

Thanks Treesmacker. I get them riding every chance I can. I was surprised not to see you at Bruno. I know your not a ktm guy but I bought Drew an SX mini. He likes it a lot and it fits him well. He was having so much fun he decided not to stop at the check point!

ps. My mopar is never going to get finished now.

I feel for you man, after eight years I finally got a manual rack in the Miata. Eight years. And that's only cause the oldest child drove it into a tree and ditch (photo is posted somewhere on here), the donor I used to replace the rear quarter panel had a manual rack.

Why would I want one? I prefer the feedback you get with a manual that's dampened by PS. Plus my gas mileage went up around 10%, so driving 30,000 miles a year, it'll pay for itself. Esp. since it was free.

Donor also has LSD, which I could desperately use, but I'm probably going to sell it since it's the weakest LSD in the Miatas. I blew one up before and that's how I got the open diff I have now, it was the same LSD rear end.

I have a back burner toy toter project (82 Wagoneer) that's gonna take a long time to "finish" (hopefully will be street worthy/hauler worthy sooner) and I ride/drive the oldest machines of all my family. Even the 18 year old has a newer car than I do.

I may put the eight track cassette player back in the Jeep, it's older than I am.

Thanks Treesmacker. I get them riding every chance I can. I was surprised not to see you at Bruno. I know your not a ktm guy but I bought Drew an SX mini. He likes it a lot and it fits him well. He was having so much fun he decided not to stop at the check point!

ps. My mopar is never going to get finished now.

After racing four bikes at Duquette the week before in all the water and mud

I had some major maintance to do! I over heard one of the Bruno workers after the Duquette enduro say a "jetski" would work better than a bike at Bruno! We stayed home and Dad had some "Garage" time.

We had a KTM Pro Jr so I have plenty of experience with them, hope you like

cleaning clutch washers!!!

The Theilman trailride is this weekend and is a great time, they have two kids loops by the campground. Our kids have a blast! :busted:

I've got the springs in Drew's bike for now. It's a little weak on the hit but after he rode the jr with a good stack, it set him back a bit. I have to slowly sneak it up on him so he does not get P O'd and he's got his fathers temper. I took Emma to theilman in the spring and took her all over. She was a trooper. Not fast but smooth and steady. This time Its just me and a couple nieghbors. We are all new to bikes and the "race dads" are gonna get some ride time. Hope to see you there. John