cutting exhaust can

please don't shoot me and I did do some looking for info as well. I just bought a full FMF exhaust ( I have not installed yet ) the can looks to be roughly 5" too long, 12" would be perfect I think.Hopefully my jet kit will get her soon and I can install this weekend. So who has chopped the exhaust on their DRZ? I chopped 6" off my full Muzzy on my street bike and sounds SSWWEETT, IMO and granted she has a custom map but no dip in power.

Or should I just leave it and beat the crap out of her as is.:busted:

Chop it... :busted:

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

I chopped mine down to only 7 inches.

Greg

mean looking bike.

I was thinking chopping 5" but i don't want this totally loud beast either.

Yeah but thats a chopped OEM not an FMF!

I chopped my brand new Kerker cans on my ZX900 many years ago. Although I thought it looked better it sounded like crap...

There you go!

My Z sounds awesome w/ the Muzzy chopped but that is an inline 4 and I looking for feedback w/ how the single would sound.I would have to guess this is not a popular thing to do. :busted:

i dont see a ton of riders chopping there stock like greg has done but i see a ton of riders doing so to aftermarket. not that its not popular just not mentioned a lot

My Z sounds awesome w/ the Muzzy chopped but that is an inline 4 and I looking for feedback w/ how the single would sound.I would have to guess this is not a popular thing to do. :busted:

Hi rs, :banana:

You're right... it isn't! :thumbsup:

If you chop a can and don't secure the innards really good, they'll only rattle around and sound crappy. I got around that issue by coring out the can with a holesaw leaving it entirely empty and using a alloy cone and SuperTrapp tuning disks as the reverse end of the magaphone...

xrsonly014.jpg

is what it sounds like.

Greg

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

Greg

Looks good, I've cut my plastics down even more than that!

Dan

i dont see a ton of riders chopping there stock like greg has done but i see a ton of riders doing so to aftermarket. not that its not popular just not mentioned a lot

I chopped the stocker also. Lost about 37 pounds.:busted:

No pictures since I did it but it sounds great.

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

Greg

Love it :thumbsup:

what kind of headr is that?

Where did you get that tip, how did u mount it, and how much did you cut?

Love it :busted:

what kind of headr is that?

Where did you get that tip, how did u mount it, and how much did you cut?

Hi dino, :banana:

It's a 41mm FMF PowerBomb header...

fmfpowerbomb006.jpg

The XR Only billet end cap and SuperTrapp tuning disks perfectly fit the three threaded holes in the end of the stock muffler...

xrsonly007.jpg

I simply epoxied three more cut off hex bolts to fill in the other three holes so that exhaust wouldn't exit them.

I cut the stock can back to the edge of the mounting bracket... and welded the end back on. the stock muffler already has a megaphone profile, so I emptied it out and put an internal cone diffuser on the end to complete the reverse section of the megaphone...

fmfpowerbomb003.jpg

It's 4 pounds lighter than the stock muffler.:thumbsup:

Greg

+1 with Greg. I did the same tip set up as Greg. Good thump but no power increase as far as I can tell. The 3x3 and re-jet was where the bike really woke up.

If you can risk chopping the pipe, then im all for experimentation. Be sure to post your results.

I chopped off 7" of my RS2. Looks so much better and is somewhat louder.

What up?! I was bored one day and chopped my Yosh Ti TRC Exhaust down from a 14" to an 11". I had no problems. It looks better and it's got a nice deep grunt. No power gain that I noticed. I'm not saying cutting is recommended for all, but it worked well on mine.

"kick his ass Sea-Bass!"

Hi dino, :thumbsup:

It's a 41mm FMF PowerBomb header...

fmfpowerbomb006.jpg

The XR Only billet end cap and SuperTrapp tuning disks perfectly fit the three threaded holes in the end of the stock muffler...

xrsonly007.jpg

I simply epoxied three more cut off hex bolts to fill in the other three holes so that exhaust wouldn't exit them.

I cut the stock can back to the edge of the mounting bracket... and welded the end back on. the stock muffler already has a megaphone profile, so I emptied it out and put an internal cone diffuser on the end to complete the reverse section of the megaphone...

fmfpowerbomb003.jpg

It's 4 pounds lighter than the stock muffler.:busted:

Greg

sweet, how many discs did you use, and cold you list the part #'s and whreu got them, im having troubles finding what need. thanks

i just started drinking, grabbed my sawzall and went to town! stock was too long and quiet! it sounded better(deeper) and gave more all around feel to it. plus i had already jetted it for the 3X3 and pipe, so it was rich already. but i did it mainly for fun :busted:

my MRD is much better tho..... feel and sound!

--keith