Optimum OTC oil for an older XR-400?

Alright, so I have a an older (98') XR-400 that the guy ahead of me made street-legal, so it has about an equal number of highway and trail miles on it (don;t ride it here in LA City much, for obvious reasons) and i was just wondering what oil I should use for it, as I don;t have time, nor money, enough to go to a shop and buy their 10 bucks a quart brand of Honda approved oil when I can go to the Autozone down the block from my house and picjk something up on my way home from work, the only question is what? Any suggestions? The Tech manual specifies 10W-40 or 20W-50, but that was about it, anyone have same problem?

go to kragen or autozone or whoever and get their four cycle motorcycle oil, designed specifically for bikes with a wet clutch. valvoline, castrol, most major oil manufacturers make it for about four bucks a quart. :busted:

Rotella 15w40. Cheap and works great. Has a perfect add pack for what we have here.

Rotella all the way. If it is half as good as it's Mobil counterpart Delvac, it is still twice as good as Honda crap. There's only one thing though: After using Delvac for quite some time my clutch finally (and for the first time ever in the bikes history) disengages completely. Now there's a bad side to this, gears don't drop in while stationary without easing the clutch a little because the mainshaft just does not crawl :busted:

Rotella 15w40. Cheap and works great. Has a perfect add pack for what we have here.

Agreed - Rotella 15W-40 (Dino) is excellent motorcycle oil. About $11/gallon at WalMart, so you can change it often. Frequency of change is much more important than specific brand, IMHO.

we are talking about diesel oil right?

i run this in my 93 xr250l

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil1_Racing_4T_10W-40.aspx

however i bought that when it was on clearance at schucks for 1.50$ a quart.

it has since risen to about 10.00$ per quart.

and im a diesel geek so if i can safely run diesel oil in my bike i'll be a happy camper

we are talking about diesel oil right?

im a diesel geek so if i can safely run diesel oil in my bike i'll be a happy camper

Yup. :busted: