Sign in to follow this  

Big problem?

I changed the oil in my bike today and the two bolts that hold the cover on the double filter bag (left side) came out hard and with the threads of the case. Can they be helicoil w/insert, re-tapped bigger or am I screwed or what. please help :busted::thumbsup:

If the holes are blind (i.e. they don't go straight through into the inside of the case) then it's pretty straightforward as drilling and tapping for an insert won't release bits of metal swarf into the engine. You can check by poking a bit of wire down the holes.

FWIW I'd recommend a Timesert insert (they're mentioned in the other thread). They are much more durable than helicoils. I had a few fitted to a previously butchered XR crankcase and can recommend them whole-heartedly. Fit 'em and forget 'em!

I certainly wouldn't consider any ghetto repairs involving plumber's tape / Loctite etc. You don't want your oil strainer popping out on the trail...

I changed the oil in my bike today and the two bolts that hold the cover on the double filter bag (left side) came out hard and with the threads of the case. Can they be helicoil w/insert, re-tapped bigger or am I screwed or what. please help :busted::thumbsup:

Mine came with thread inserts from the factory! I would probably have never known, but one backed out a little when I changed the oil. Maybe all the 08's came like this. It would be hard to tell if you didn't look very closely.

Where in California are you? I am in Vista. If you are close you can come over and use my insert kit to install new threads. Ken

Did you ever get this sorted out? I have the same problem on my SM610 now. :banana: :banana: I was able to put longer allen cheese head screws in and catch about four threads for now, but my next oil change I will need to fix this. I was thinking, because it is a part/cover that is removed allot more than most what do you all think of using studs and nuts & washers to hold the cover on. Is there a better way? They are 5mm and 12mm + deep blind holes I believe.

Just asking,

Gary

George, what do you think I should do? I’ll call and come by and see you soon, after a week or two. :busted:

I had this happen with the oil filter cover, except broke off the bolt in the case. I was able to back it out but the threads came with it, after in looking closer the case still had threads in it. So I think I pulled out a helicoil, all I did was find a bolt from the bike, I have extra from the case saver which fit perfect.

I looked at the parts manual to order the bolt, it looked to me that the case has helicoil in it, Part #800049792, so I think that is what I pulled out.

So far no leaks, I have ordered some coils from Hall's to put back to stock.

With the coil out it was a larger size m6 maybe, and the one I broke was a m5.

Did you ever get this sorted out? I have the same problem on my SM610 now. :banana: :banana: I was able to put longer allen cheese head screws in and catch about four threads for now, but my next oil change I will need to fix this. I was thinking, because it is a part/cover that is removed allot more than most what do you all think of using studs and nuts & washers to hold the cover on. Is there a better way? They are 5mm and 12mm + deep blind holes I believe.

Just asking,

Gary

George, what do you think I should do? I’ll call and come by and see you soon, after a week or two. :busted:

Bring it by and will put in Time-Sert. Later George