Info on Street plate transfer needed

I currently own a 2003 KLX300R that is street plated in AZ and am looking to keep it plated here in CA. Anybody have info on what I need to do to keep it street legal?

I went to ride it last weekend at the Gleghorn road exit to Bigbear and was stopped by the Ranger who said I could not ride it there and further more my bike would be red stickered if I registered it in CA due to the VIN# it has a 3 as the 8th digit is what he told me was the determining factor.

Any info or advice is appreciated.

Truth? Keep it registered in AZ, then they cannot say crap.......I have a few California friends that do this......

Unfortunately the ranger appears to know what he was talking about. Not good for you. If you register it here that plate will be gone. If you can figure out a way to keep the AZ plate it would be your best bet. It's not exactly legal though. The problems happen when an AZ plated bike is in a CA plated truck or when you whip out a CA drivers license while riding an AZ plated bike.

its perfectly legal to have a bike from another state if you have a residence or business in that state. Get your story right, have insurance and an address in AZ and its fine. Its required by Fed law that states honor each others laws. CA cant dictate what AZ says is street legal. Ive got two AZ bikes. I just happen to have the bike here a for a couple of weeks and am riding it then its going back.......

its perfectly legal to have a bike from another state if you have a residence or business in that state. Get your story right, have insurance and an address in AZ and its fine. Its required by Fed law that states honor each others laws. CA cant dictate what AZ says is street legal. Ive got two AZ bikes. I just happen to have the bike here a for a couple of weeks and am riding it then its going back.......

Exactly. That's been my story for the past 4 years and I haven't had a problem so far.

I currently have an AZ drivers license and insurance but they still said I could not ride due to my VIN# I think it's a bunch of CRAP!!!!

I currently have an AZ drivers license and insurance but they still said I could not ride due to my VIN# I think it's a bunch of CRAP!!!!

Actually that was a bunch of crap. Those rules do not apply to out of state bikes. A long as it was correctly registered they can't stop you from riding. For non plated bikes there is an out of state sticker that is not red or green. With it a bike that would be red stickered if it was registered here can still be ridden all year.

Actually that was a bunch of crap. Those rules do not apply to out of state bikes. A long as it was correctly registered they can't stop you from riding. For non plated bikes there is an out of state sticker that is not red or green. With it a bike that would be red stickered if it was registered here can still be ridden all year.

:busted:

I just bought a 2002 drz400 e and it was plated in AZ. I started at AAA. They inspected, but then said I need to go to DMV. DMV said the bike needed 7000 miles to be transferred to CA, Odometer, lit spedo, and the normal lights/horn/high/lolw beams.( Easy to do)

After the DMV inspection, they sent me to CHP(appointment only). CHP took about 2 hours, made phone calls, and signed the forms. Went back to DMV and now all is well. Street legal and ready to rip the trails.

I just bought a 2002 drz400 e and it was plated in AZ. I started at AAA. They inspected, but then said I need to go to DMV. DMV said the bike needed 7000 miles to be transferred to CA, Odometer, lit spedo, and the normal lights/horn/high/lolw beams.( Easy to do)

After the DMV inspection, they sent me to CHP(appointment only). CHP took about 2 hours, made phone calls, and signed the forms. Went back to DMV and now all is well. Street legal and ready to rip the trails.

YES the mileage thing was also told to me when i got my reg done, if you have a working speedo you need to get it over 7k, if you dont then you say it has 8500 miles!!! AAA can not do VIN verifiactions, BUT there are several people that do DMV stuff also from home n such, they are easy to deal with vs dmv for sure, thats where i went just cause our local dmv is INSANE with 100s of people waiting in the am for doors to open, so the $60 i paid here for the ease was well worth it for me!!!

what he said would be similar to him telling you you can't drive your az plated car on I-5