Sign in to follow this  

Need to know how not to die lol

It was time for me to get a real bike. I got a KTM 125 used, but that turned out to be junk, so somehow I ended up with a beautiful completely rebuilt '91 KTM 300...I need some help though, because this will be my first 2t ever lol. It has a throttle governor, which is very helpful, but I mean I still want to approach such a big jump with some confidance that I know what to do. the bike is pretty well worked, so it's gonna scare the shit outta me until I get used to it.

I was thinking set the gov to 1/4 throttle, then 1/2, etc. I'm not an idiot on bikes, but riding (not owning) a crf150 and jumping to a 300 2t is an insane jump...I'm not the kind to just get on and rip the throttle, so I'm pretty confident about it. Funny, I feel safer riding this bike than my friend's cr80...

The only governor you need is a healthy grasp on the clutch lever. It's your friend. The 300 makes plenty of power down low...it should even on a 90s model bike. Use that to your advantage before you start screaming around in the powerband and you'll be fine in no time :busted:

Happy riding!

My buddy has a 91 KTM. For the brief period that we had it running right, it was wicked. It tends to break down a lot, and finding parts is a nightmare. My vote would be to sell it and look for a late model 200.

I don't think the throttle stop is a good idea on a 2 stroke. You have to ride it in the power.

That's what I was thinking, but it's a completely rebuilt bike, so the dude told me that for the first tank and a half, I shouldn't be completely on the throttle anyways. It's literally a brand new motor with 0 hours on it.

The only governor you need is a healthy grasp on the clutch lever. It's your friend. The 300 makes plenty of power down low...it should even on a 90s model bike. Use that to your advantage before you start screaming around in the powerband and you'll be fine in no time :busted:

Happy riding!

Maybe I should get an aftermarket powerband. The red ones are pretty good I hear. LOL

Maybe I should get an aftermarket powerband. The red ones are pretty good I hear. LOL

Well red is fast so maybe that wouldn't be good. Perhaps the purple power band. :busted:

I've heard that the purple power bands aren't too reliable. I'm gonna get the orange so it matches the bike :busted: haha

I've heard that the purple power bands aren't too reliable. I'm gonna get the orange so it matches the bike :thumbsup: haha

Your in luck. I happen to have a brand new Orange PowerBand still wrapped in the plasitc. However I am currently stationed in Nigeria and to get through customs you will need to send me $1000 through paypal and I will send you the part with a check for $980. $20 for a brand new powerband is an awesome deal!

Ride On! :busted:

LOL what a deal! People on the interwebs are so helpful!

You should have heard this scam I got on cl for my pit bike. "I want you to remove the ad and consider this item is sold to me...my movers..." just stop right there. Instant scam lol.

Gee whiz, those Nigerians are some swell fellas, huh? Have you found KTMtalk yet? In the oldies but goodies/big bore section you will get all the info you need. Have pictures in hand to post and they will answer any question you can think of. (even if it's a turd) Someone in this thread mentioned reliability. The only problem that I know is the stator. If I can help, feel to PM me.

Well the main thing I wanted to know is the basics of riding a powerful 2t lol. No one has even mentioned yet where to keep it in the gears when doing hillclimbs, how not to stall out of neutral, etc. I'm not looking for technical advice, I want to know what to expect from this bike before I just hop on and crash lol

i would say just get out there and ride it! start off small and as you start to get the hang of the bike it will get easier and easier for you :busted:

luckily though, since the motor is completely rebuilt from the ground up and brand new, I gotta keep it out of powerband for a tank or so until the motor wears in a bit before I can really get on it anyways, so hopefully by then I'll be used to the bike enough to start ripping :busted:

That's what I was thinking, but it's a completely rebuilt bike, so the dude told me that for the first tank and a half, I shouldn't be completely on the throttle anyways. It's literally a brand new motor with 0 hours on it.

to break it in, all u have to do is run it for 30 mins at 1/4 throttle, then 1/2 throttle, which will actually be killing 2 birds with 1 stone for you! ull be able to get used to it while breaking it in, as for approaching jumps, 2 strokes are soo much torqier (sp?) then 4 strokes, so the front will want to come up. id roll the power off a bit towards the top of the jump, and keep ur legs TIGHT on the bike, and try to stay in the most stable position until u can predict what ur bike will do

I do more trail riding, but that will definitely be helpful later on when I decide to take it to the silt basins down the street :busted:

One thing that totally killed me when I got my 300 is that it has no fly wheel effect at all. If I nailed the rear brake on a 4 stroke, it was no big deal. If I nailed the rear brake on my 300, it would stall instantly, but would have too much compression to bump start. This caused me to hit the ground hard at least 3 times. Then there's the whole 24% power at 49% throttle and 95% power at 51%throttle thing that I just never quite got used to.

I completely forgot to ask about the whole no decompression on a 2t thing. But yeah I'm assuming that's why the clutch will be my best friend on the ktm lol. I could be getting the rod bearing from the shop as soon as tomorrow so hopefully I'll be riding this weekend. :busted: