Sign in to follow this  

bike died again!

So i rode the bike to work to day and one mile away the bike started to backfire then it died and wouldn't start up, so i pushed it the rest of the way to work and when it got cold it started again but was backfiring pretty bad. I checked all the the wires agian and they looked good has a new stator, and a new cdi the only thing that i haven't changed is the coil. My question is that would a coil cause this type of problem or should i look for something else? The bike ran good before this happened.

Yes it would. Bad coils do a lot of farting and carrying on when their defective and put under load. Course it may be something else but I've had coils do as you describe, but to be honest not recently. Modern coils seem a lot more reliable than say 70's ones Then again it could also be a bit of dirt in one of the carb jets..Borrow a coil if you can as they aren't cheap and I wouldn't want you wasting cash on a non problem part.

Delete the obvious.

1- Kill switch...unplug/ delete

2- Check spark....even if it has spark, the coil/spark wire may be intermittent. Heat will make poor conductivity worse.

3- check for fuel. Pull fuel bowl drain plug.

WHAT BIKE IS THIS???

Check to make sure one of the backfires didn't blow the carb off of one of the boots (air filter side and head side). If it's got an air leak on either side it will cause it to run really lean or not at all. :busted:

Check to make sure one of the backfires didn't blow the carb off of one of the boots (air filter side and head side). If it's got an air leak on either side it will cause it to run really lean or not at all. :busted:

If you have an overly tight valve adjustment it will get even tighter hot causing a valve to remain open just slightly,backfiring will definately happen,also stalling and no-starts and if you continue it`ll burn the valve face...

Check you vavle clearances:thumbsup:

Brian

It is a 1989 xr600r. Did a valve adjustment last week and it is still good, I checked for spark and i will get spark then if i move the wire next to the coil i will loose the spark, so i am pretty sure it is a bad coil. I found a cheap coil through dennis kirk for 10 bucks so if that works i will get a good one later.

I have gone through all the wires over and over and can't find anything wrong with them.

I might be remebering incorrectly, but is'nt there some type of resistor inside the plug boot? I had a '87 a few years ago, and remember taking the innards outta the plug boot to check it. If so, and you lose spark when moving the wire near the coil, then it could just be losing conductivity at the resistor. If I still had the manual, I'd check it....but it went with the bike.

I will check that tomorrow. I don't think it is in my manual but i will double check.

So i got the bike running today i put the extra coil from my yz400f on it and it fired right up and runs good. The coil was a little bigger so it wa a little tricky getting it to fit in the same spot.

Interesting..So you can use any old coil on XR's etc. I'd always assumed they were "special" to each model. Obviously this isn't the case..Anyone have something useful to add on the subject of alternative coils or just plain old coils..

Interesting..So you can use any old coil on XR's etc. I'd always assumed they were "special" to each model. Obviously this isn't the case..Anyone have something useful to add on the subject of alternative coils or just plain old coils..

hi,i have used coils of atc,s atv,s on my xr with no problems. if my coil packs in i always use a coil of any honda 4stroke off road vechile.goodluck

i would agreem with most of these guys i have a 03 wr450 just died on me too, check out my post sometime. Anyway I would lean more towards the fuel/air department... mainly fuel. Average untreated gas begins to degrade after only 30 days of sitting, the smaller the amount the quicker it goes. Most bikes demand a high quality and CLEAN fuel to run efficient. You may have a plugged carb jet or just plain old bad gas which in turn could lead to a clogged carburater and its small vital components. I suggest get some fresh fuel (if older than 4 weeks already) And pull your carb off and hose it with carb cleaner and spray all small passageways with compressed air... You might be surprised.

Average untreated gas begins to degrade after only 30 days of sitting,

Modern pump gas actually starts degrading noticeably as soon as it comes out of the pump.