Big Guy and a YZ250

I am new to suspension setup. I just got an 06 yz250 and I know that the suspension is to soft for me. I am 6'3" 250+. I have searched all kinds of ways and I keep finding posts of people that need a stiffer shock spring than the calculators show. I am just going to ride trails/desert type stuff. Maybe some small jumps. I just want to set the bike up correctly, I would like to enter a novice race or two this fall. Any help would be appreciated. At $109 each, I would like to buy the right one the first time. Thanks fellas

Your gonna need some big springs!

I would suggest, at a minimum .52 springs up front.

In back a 5.7 seems to work ok, but a 5.9 or even more would not be unheard of for you.

Because it's the 250 two stroke...the rear spring is often a little lighter than on the four strokes...

Are you just really fit and buff! Or is weight loss potentially in your future with the intense work out riding brings? Hope that comes out right!

If so air slightly on the lighter side...so your money is spent well the first time.

for bush or trail i would try .47 fork and a 6.0 shock maybe even the 6.3 spring.i have .46 in my front end and i rarely bottom even with a oil quantity of 320 cc.in the rear i run a 6.7.i,m 275 geared up and only bush/trail ride.

i tried .50 fork springs and they were a joke for offroad riding.i didn,t use half my travel and the bike would not turn as the front end had no dive what so ever.

Not really fit and buff anymore. I am getting down to around 230, that's my goal. But I don't want the ride harsh anyway. I figure I will get better riding by both losing the weight and setting the bike up right. Is there one brand of spring that is better than the others, or are they all pretty much equal on quality?

I'm about 240 lbs and I'm running .49's in re-valved forks and a 5.8 on the stock shock. I race Vet B offroad and I ride novice MX with this bike. Sag measurements were good and I have no issues with the fork.

Your gonna need some big springs!

I would suggest, at a minimum .52 springs up front.

In back a 5.7 seems to work ok, but a 5.9 or even more would not be unheard of for you.

Because it's the 250 two stroke...the rear spring is often a little lighter than on the four strokes...

Are you just really fit and buff! Or is weight loss potentially in your future with the intense work out riding brings? Hope that comes out right!

If so air slightly on the lighter side...so your money is spent well the first time.

Listen to what this guy has said! He is not kidding when you lose weight riding..I just spent $600.00 a few months ago respringing and revalving my bike. I had it done for my 250 lb weight, now Im 225lb and going down..I didnt keep that in consideration when I was doing my suspension...:busted:

I think I will lose some weight. I am taking that into account when I put new springs on. I won't know exactly what is right because I am too new to the bike, been off too long. I just want it not to bottom out and handle well. I am sure after the first attempt, I will need to tweak it a little once I get more seat time.

The springs should not make it stiff unless you go WAY above the recommended spring for your weight . I am 240 before gear , exp. Vet MX . I Use a .50 up front and a 5.6 out back , I still spend alot of time on a 2 stroke also .

If you need any help finding the springs drop me a PM.