Sign in to follow this  

How to check for spark?

I picked up a 93 dr350s not running, so now I am trying to diagnose it. How do I check to see if there is a spark at the plug when I kick it over?

Also, how do I check to see if the carb is getting/spraying fuel?

Remove the plug and stick it back in the plug wire cap. Lay the plug on the cylinder head so the threads or the ground electrode are touching the metal of the head. Kick it over and look for spark jumping between the center electrode and the ground electrode. It helps if you do it in a slightly dark place so it's easier to see. If there is a drain screw on the carb float bowl, back it out and see if fuel runs out.

Here is what you need to do. In order to check for fuel and spark at the same time, you need open the drain screw on the carb while simultaneously having the plug laying on the crank case and kick it over. This is the most efficient way to check for fuel and spark.

Yeah, hold the plug. If it tickles a little you have spark. :thumbsup:

Dirty.....:busted:

Should we tell him not to hold the plug when he kicks it over ?

No, he should put his tongue on the electrode & give it a good kick :busted:

JM

JM

If he's able to do that .......... just buy a new bike because $$ will not be a problem...

**For real though, you will be able to see the spark without being in tottal dark AND alot of times a plug will test OK but will not allow the bike to run.

to teat if gas is getting into the cyclinder, try starting the bike (alot) and pull the plug....... it should be wet from fuel

The '93 DR350 has a vacuum petcock so it should be set to the "PRI" (prime) position on order to check for fuel when opening the bowl drain.

JM

And I can see it all now with a mouth full of gas , Hey Bubba, Hold my Beer and watch this. :thumbsup: