TTR 125 Starter/Choke plunger stuck

hey guys need some help i purchased a brand new over stock ttr125L (07) last Christmas for my wife we rallied it around through the winter and then she got pregnant it sat for a few months and i started it every other week or so. about three months ago the choke cable would not lift up i was able to start the bike fairly easily, I'm assuming because the weather was good. I recently purchased a frame cradle and some other upgrades and figured i would address the issue while i had it up in the air and torn apart. i found the starter plunger to be stuck in the carb, i first put a few drops of 3in1 oil in it hoping it would free it up, didn't work. i then tried penetrating oil, didn't work. any suggestions?

unscrew the top nut and dribble a little coke down into the plunger area.

the coke will destroy the corrosion bond between the steel and the aluminum.

no kidding..

Have you tried compressed air?

I should have tried the coke thing, i was able to get it out i ended up breaking the end off of the cable and then was able to work the plunger loose and eventually remove it, it took a couple hours. I called the local shop and they wanted around $75 for the cable and plunger assembly so i decided to fix what i have. I was able to solder the keeper back on the end of the cable and tried to scrape as much corrosion off of the plunger and plunger walls. lubed it up real well and re installed it. has anyone determined what causes this to happen?

what should i have done with compressed air?

I have the opposite problem as you do.

My choke wont stay on when I pull it open. It just sinks back down.

Any help or should I start a thread on it, im searching right now.

Thanks Topaz, I posted here on the beginning of my search but didnt see the post you had posted til now.

Well, I took the cable apart at both ends and was careful taking the cable out of the carb, but didnt have any bbs come flying out and the spring was firmly attached to the plunger.

I sprayed dupont cable lube on the plunger that comes out of the carb and when putting back together noticed it looked like the plastic threads where the knob screws into were broke, but somehow managed to get it tight enough to stay and got it put back together and now it will stay open 75% or better but not fully.

So if your having problems, it seems for me anyway, by just taking it apart and spraying it would be enough for a quick fix.

no kidding..

Gas for you! The coke thing worked awesome.

My choke plunger had been stuck for months and soaking for days in penetrating fluid didn't do a thing. Coke brought it out in about an hour :bonk:

no kidding..

Thank you for this suggestion! I tried the Coke method on my '08 TTR 125 and the choke came free. I let it sit with the Coke in there for about 10 hours and got it out by pulling on the cable. I had already bought a new choke plunger kit off eBay and installed it with white lithium grease after cleaning out the hole with PB Blaster and dowel with a piece of cloth wrapped about it. The choke works great now and the bike started right up. I plan to lube this puppy a few times a year going forward.

Gas for you! The coke thing worked awesome.

My choke plunger had been stuck for months and soaking for days in penetrating fluid didn't do a thing. Coke brought it out in about an hour :thumbsup:

some of us old dogs round here have had some good exposure over the years...some crappy exposure too....

glad to see that your choke is now working..

now go ride !